Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner IVs getting old

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1276443  by 4400Washboard

AlexC wrote:Did the H&M run, ahem, Silverliner IV's?
I believe that they were talking about the PATH K-Cars

If this is meant to be an off-topic I highly suggest making that clear by attaching a message on the bottom specifying what you wish
 #1276515  by Silverliner II

25Hz wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:
tjensen wrote:I agree the S Vs should get shorter announcements. The ones on the NYC Subway are endless (They go on and on and on and once they finish another one starts up)
At least there isn't a quiet car. (Except for when someone pukes in one. Empty cars are generally quiet).

All trains 3+ cars from AM peak till 7 PM have a quiet ride car in front......?
To be specific: all trains with 3 or more cars OPEN until 7pm weekdays have a quiet ride car in front. If your train shows up during the day with 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 cars, and only 2 are open to passengers, there is no Quiet Ride car in effect.

I do find the lighting on the Silverliner V's too bright and the HVAC about as loud (and with the same buzzing sound) as the R160 subway cars in NYC. A better door design could have been done by putting them in vestibules, same as on the M7's and M8's on the LIRR and Metro-North. No trouble with the AC escaping on them...

Regarding the Silverliner IV's: considering they have never had a full mechanical rebuild in their lives, they are doing VERY well!
 #1276544  by AlexC

tjensen wrote:
I believe that they were talking about the PATH K-Cars

If this is meant to be an off-topic I highly suggest making that clear by attaching a message on the bottom specifying what you wish
it's off topic. get back on topic or start a new thread.
 #1276577  by ExCon90

The post arose from an earlier question regarding the practicality of having effective AC on a car with doors opening directly to the outside, as on the SV's. The purpose of my post was to point out the problem had been successfully dealt with 50 years ago. (The V's got into it through previous comments that they were aging faster and less well than the IV's they are replacing.)