Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner IVs getting old

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1272688  by eb684

I find the IVs and Vs to be about the same in terms of ride comfort. The push pulls are even more comfortable, at least once they get moving. It's relatively easy to fall asleep on any of them.

Also, the announcement on the Vs need to be fixed, especially the ones outside the train at each stop. Example...

"This is a Wilmington/Newark line local train. Goes to Newark Delaware and does not serve all stations. Please consult your timetable."

How about, "This is a Newark Delaware local that does not stop at Eddystone."
 #1272706  by 4400Washboard

I agree the S Vs should get shorter announcements. The ones on the NYC Subway are endless (They go on and on and on and once they finish another one starts up)
 #1272721  by jackintosh11

tjensen wrote:I agree the S Vs should get shorter announcements. The ones on the NYC Subway are endless (They go on and on and on and once they finish another one starts up)
At least there isn't a quiet car. (Except for when someone pukes in one. Empty cars are generally quiet).
 #1272723  by 25Hz

jackintosh11 wrote:
tjensen wrote:I agree the S Vs should get shorter announcements. The ones on the NYC Subway are endless (They go on and on and on and once they finish another one starts up)
At least there isn't a quiet car. (Except for when someone pukes in one. Empty cars are generally quiet).

All trains 3+ cars from AM peak till 7 PM have a quiet ride car in front......?
 #1272727  by 4400Washboard

One time (And one time only), I've gotten a 100% completely nothing happening quiet car with me ONLY in it was on a reverse-commute at about 6 on a 7 local train to Manhattan (For those who don't know about the commuting tendencies of new yorkers). on very rare occasions have I gotten into a car and everyone was silent and immersed into the little blue rectangles on their laps. :-D
 #1272751  by Head-end View

The Silverliner V has a lot of faults as noted by several posters above. But right now they are number one on my hit parade, for the excellent railfan view from a normal seated position. And I kind of like the female voice station announcements with their artificial accent sometimes pronouncing one word as two. Like "Levit-town". It's kind of amusing really. And the R-40/Slant had its faults too, but it was my favorite NYC subway car of all time.
 #1272759  by 4400Washboard

R40 is my favorite subway car also

As a railfan, I'd pick the Silverlinwr iv

As a commuter I'd pick the silverliner v

The S Vs wake me up with their thuper thuper good lighting but the announcemens are pretty annoying imo
jackintosh11 wrote:
I also forgot to mentipn: In nyc we dont care if theres puke in the train we still ride the car (although the closest person may be 6 feet away from the toxic zone)
 #1272806  by glennk419

tjensen wrote:Think of the Silverliner IVs as.... dang it I can't think of any car as good as it! and the Silverliner Vs as the EMD DM/DE diesels. From the start they were lemons, now they will forever be lemons, unless septa fixes them up of course.
jackintosh11 wrote:My brother slept past his stop the ride was so smooth. They're much better than the IVs in every way.
People sleep differently-I've fallen asleep on a Silverliner IV but never a Silverliner V. Has your brother fallen asleep on a IV?
I fell asleep on a Reading Blueliner once...of course it was after an all night bus ride. Talk about grinding acceleration.
The only Quiet Cars with the Blueliners were the unpowered trailers. :-D
 #1272835  by Tritransit Area

jackintosh11 wrote:The Vs are much better than the IVs to ride on IMHO.
I agree with you. I find a ride on the Vs to be a more pleasant experience than on the IVs.
 #1272837  by jackintosh11

It's possible to feel the excitement while standing on a platform at Suburban when a V pulls in. People definitely like them. SEPTA should put a bathroom in a train and then see how much people actually like them when they're not maintained well.
 #1272907  by SubwayTim

Head-end View wrote:The Silverliner V has a lot of faults as noted by several posters above. But right now they are number one on my hit parade, for the excellent railfan view from a normal seated position. And I kind of like the female voice station announcements with their artificial accent sometimes pronouncing one word as two. Like "Levit-town". It's kind of amusing really. And the R-40/Slant had its faults too, but it was my favorite NYC subway car of all time.
What about the female voice on the M4's..."Doors are opening...69th Street train making all stops...Doors are closing"!!!
One thing I've noticed about the announcements on the Silverliner V's, is that, unlike the M4's, they don't mention the connecting SEPTA services at each station...which would've been very convenient for those who have to continue their trip by bus (or trolley) after they get off the train.
 #1272910  by jackintosh11

SubwayTim wrote:
Head-end View wrote:The Silverliner V has a lot of faults as noted by several posters above. But right now they are number one on my hit parade, for the excellent railfan view from a normal seated position. And I kind of like the female voice station announcements with their artificial accent sometimes pronouncing one word as two. Like "Levit-town". It's kind of amusing really. And the R-40/Slant had its faults too, but it was my favorite NYC subway car of all time.
What about the female voice on the M4's..."Doors are opening...69th Street train making all stops...Doors are closing"!!!
One thing I've noticed about the announcements on the Silverliner V's, is that, unlike the M4's, they don't mention the connecting SEPTA services at each station...which would've been very convenient for those who have to continue their trip by bus (or trolley) after they get off the train.
Great sarcasm. I would love it if they didn't have all that stuff, especially in CC. Instead, how about: 30th street station. Transfer to other stuff here.
 #1272913  by 4400Washboard

jackintosh11 wrote:It's possible to feel the excitement while standing on a platform at Suburban when a V pulls in. People definitely like them. SEPTA should put a bathroom in a train and then see how much people actually like them when they're not maintained well.
I am NOT going to ride septa ever until they get a bathroom on the trains (In other words I'll avoid them for maybe.... 50 years -- Problem is I can't keep myself from railfanning them when I feel this primal desire to :-D ). I had to cut a railfanning trip in half to get off at Philly 30 Street to use the bathroom-I've never run that fast to get to a toilet ever in my life
SubwayTim wrote:
Well in nyc, OUR trains have announcements with connecting services-This is why i love NYC; the mta takes suggestions and actually listens to them :P (Sorry i had to brag there-i couldn't help myself!) . I've never been on an M4-What's it like, interior-wise (Comfortable, looks nice, good acceleration, etc.)?
 #1272946  by SubwayTim

tjensen wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:It's possible to feel the excitement while standing on a platform at Suburban when a V pulls in. People definitely like them. SEPTA should put a bathroom in a train and then see how much people actually like them when they're not maintained well.
I am NOT going to ride septa ever until they get a bathroom on the trains (In other words I'll avoid them for maybe.... 50 years -- Problem is I can't keep myself from railfanning them when I feel this primal desire to :-D ). I had to cut a railfanning trip in half to get off at Philly 30 Street to use the bathroom-I've never run that fast to get to a toilet ever in my life
SubwayTim wrote:
Well in nyc, OUR trains have announcements with connecting services-This is why i love NYC; the mta takes suggestions and actually listens to them :P (Sorry i had to brag there-i couldn't help myself!) . I've never been on an M4-What's it like, interior-wise (Comfortable, looks nice, good acceleration, etc.)?
A friend of mine, who grew up in Astoria (Queens), New York and is also a fellow railfan, came down to Philly just as the Market-Frankford Line was transitioning from the M3's to the M4's in the late 1990's and he told me that the M4's would NEVER last on the New York City subway system...probably due to the cloth seats they had at the time, and he also found the "Doors are opening...Doors are closing" announcement to be somewhat annoying after a while.