Railroad Forums 

• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1264871  by Elcamo

ST214 wrote:
sery2831 wrote:It will be out operating today for two trips. There are no scheduled trips for it Sunday. Right now it's scheduled to operate Monday to Wednesday. It is making trips to qualify engineers. Most of the trips are on the NH Route and Western Route. It will be making ONE trip to Acton, one trip Beverly, and one trip Newburyport.
Any idea what day and train for the Acton run?
Same question for the Bev and Newburyport runs
 #1264954  by octr202

There is only one so far, 2001. It left at 6:25 for Anderson on train 351, and turned for 352.
2001 at Anderson 4-21-2014.jpg
2001 at Anderson 4-21-2014.jpg (64.77 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
 #1264972  by sery2831

Today it will be NH Route based until it's last trip when it will make 67/68.

Tomorrow it will see some NH Route and Reading turns. But will also see Newburyport(177/182) and South Acton(455/456).
 #1265016  by MEC407

I'm not aware of any being produced at this time and I haven't heard of any announcements, but with at least 40 full-size HSP46s being built, I'm sure at least one of the model manufacturers will build one. Perhaps send an email to True Line Trains and express your interest (they seem to be the most popular manufacturer of HO-scale MP36/MP40 locomotives). http://www.truelinetrains.ca/about-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1265044  by jwhite07

The thing with producing scale models of an HSP-46 is they're a one-off, thus there is a limited market for them. There's only 40 of them, built for one railroad. Unless that changes, the big guys (Athearn, Atlas etc) won't touch it with a ten foot pole. Even TLT may not be as interested as some of the smaller "niche market" vendors like IMW and IHP, both of whom have taken on production of such limited market, unique passenger rail equipment. Those are the guys you need to talk to.
 #1265051  by ST214

sery2831 wrote:Today it will be NH Route based until it's last trip when it will make 67/68.

Tomorrow it will see some NH Route and Reading turns. But will also see Newburyport(177/182) and South Acton(455/456).
Thanks! Looks like I am taking my camera to work and running outside for a few minutes in the morning!
 #1265053  by ST214

jwhite07 wrote:The thing with producing scale models of an HSP-46 is they're a one-off, thus there is a limited market for them. There's only 40 of them, built for one railroad. Unless that changes, the big guys (Athearn, Atlas etc) won't touch it with a ten foot pole. Even TLT may not be as interested as some of the smaller "niche market" vendors like IMW and IHP, both of whom have taken on production of such limited market, unique passenger rail equipment. Those are the guys you need to talk to.
I would not cast True Line out of the running that quickly. True that they were running MP36's anyway so making 010 and 011 was a no brainer, but even TLT underestimated the demand for MBTA units. Most shops that got them are long sold out. In comparison, there are other roads(MOST roads) that are still in stock and barely moving. Anything MBTA is hot, has been for years and I don't expect it to change anytime soon. If TLT thinks they can sell them, they will make them.

Also, keep in mind that GE is planning on the MBTA to work out the bugs on these then market them to Amtrak to replace the Genesis units. If that happens, we WILL see someone make them.
 #1265098  by NH2060

ST214 wrote:lso, keep in mind that GE is planning on the MBTA to work out the bugs on these then market them to Amtrak to replace the Genesis units. If that happens, we WILL see someone make them.
Unless Amtrak exercises the 225 unit option in the Midwest/CA/Pacific NW's order with Siemens. If Amtrak truly likes what it sees with the ACS-64 electrics and the first round of the "Charger" diesels I just don't see them going with another manufacturer for the big one.

Now with Metro-North and the LIRR looking at replacing their fleet within the next 10-15 years perhaps a dual mode version of these could be a worthy replacement (provided of course that they can fit within MNR's and LIRR's loading gauge restrictions)?
 #1265205  by MEC407

Nice. Unlike most of the other HSP46 videos I've seen, in that video you can actually hear some sweet GE sounds. :-D