• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by octr202

I have to say, after riding two trips on Monday behind it, and seeing it around a few times, I really am impressed by just how quiet these things are (maybe I should say this thing, since this is only based on one unit). It appears to have been on 202 this morning (as I think it's still paired with 1631). As I live only about 250 feet from the tracks, I can usually listen for 202 passing as my reminder to get organized and out the door for 204 if I'm not paying attention. Even in the winter you can clearly hear the older units inside the house. Not with this thing! I'm sure some railfans might lament the "lack of character" but I think that these will make life more pleasant for many people who live near commuter rail lines and don't share our opinion that that's a good thing.

And while it is running with a shorter and lighter consist than it'll likely see on the south side, even from a passenger's perspective you could even tell the difference in acceleration.
  by GP40MC1118

Let the weirdness continue. The 2002 is now in Conway Yard outside of Pittsburgh off NS 14N.

Why these units are going UP to CSX to Worcester is unknown. Probably too logical. I suspect
it'll go to Harrisburg/Enola, then NS to Binghampton and east on PAS to Gardner (if its going
to P&W for setup) or Lowell or Lawrence for LA-2 to bring to BET.

At any rate, the 2002 will be the first HSP46 to travel Horseshoe Curve!

No other units showing out of Boise.

D
  by Hoopyfrood

They may come PAS into Gardner, and just get set off there for P&W to pick them up. Seemed like a sensible possibility to me when I saw it was handed off to NS. Maybe someone found that was either cheaper routing, or lazier (fewer entries into a computer :P ).
  by ST214

I was finally able to get out and shoot 2001 today, Looked it up and saw that 1631 was on 417. I took my chances and ran outside work just before 417 came, sure enough 2001 came around the bend. I still say the HSPs are ugly, but then again, I am biased(screamer fan here). 2001 sure is quiet for a GE.....
  by sery2831

From what I understand the 2002 is headed directly to the T but I could be wrong. Look for a bulk shipment of locos sometime next week for the P & W. After they arrive at the P & W it should take about two weeks for these locos to see service. There maybe a chance some will go to the Seaview RR to speed the process up if the P & W gets back logged.
  by Hoopyfrood

If 2002 is going right to the T, then it makes sense to run it NS/PAS to Fitchburg and drop it at the layover yard. Fair bet it's final destination is BET anyways.
  by GP40MC1118

Out of Buffalo on NS 206..

The 2002 would be dropped at Fitchburg since the interchange would be in Somerville.
So more than likely, its straight to Lowell or Lawrence for LA-2 to bring to BET.

D
  by sery2831

Or Ayer then to BET via a local. It will not go to Fitchburg.
  by Arlington

Any update on which traceable coach 2001 is paired with?
  by ns3010

Arlington wrote:Any update on which traceable coach 2001 is paired with?
1631, as of yesterday.
  by GP40MC1118

2002 into Binghampton on NS 206.

I meant to say it would NOT be dropped at Fitchburg. Since its on NS 206, I assume its
going to Ayer if coming direct to BET. Likely a AY-X run to BET like the Rotem deliveries.
At this point though, who knows!

D
  by RailBus63

GP40MC1118 wrote:2002 into Binghampton on NS 206.
FYI ... it's Binghamton - there's no 'p' in the spelling.