Railroad Forums 

• National Airport pocket track now single crossover

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1225831  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
As an update, passing by National Airport this evening I noticed they had placed Metro's yellow safety fencing alongside the working tracks. I've never seen this here before, and I do not think it has anything to do with this weekends track work. So, I would put some money on maybe it being related to the restoration of the pocket track? I'll post photos as soon as I can.

I don't recall where, but A vaguely recall reading in some WMATA document the desire to restore the National Airport pocket track.
 #1226107  by dcmike

Sand Box John wrote: I don't recall where, but A vaguely recall reading in some WMATA document the desire to restore the National Airport pocket track.
I'm pretty sure Sarles discussed it when he presented the next 2-year business plan. It's also mentioned as being completed next year in this document on page 8.

http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/board_ ... 130912.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1235618  by Sand Box John

"mackievlzpro"
Sort of related question: At this pocket/crossover, there are what appear to be single aspect signals with boxes containing push buttons below them. Are these related to the operation of the (former) pocket track?

Yes. Only the track work was removed. The single aspect signal with the box and push buttons is a P signal, when lite it displays a lunar P. It is located at the at the turnout that access the pocket track running in the reverse direction of normal travel. The signal indicates to a train operator that has reversed normal direction of travel that he/she may manually set signal and switch using the push buttons to enter pocket track. The signal is dark when there is no train occupying the track circuit adjacent to the P signal.
 #1239393  by JDC

That fencing has been there since October I believe. No work has been done that I can see, and I pass by 2x a day.
 #1242473  by JDC

A potential related update: per a document from Metro's Jan. 9th meeting, the platform(s) at National Airport are scheduled to undergo 'rehabilitation' similar to what is occurring at Deanwood/Minn. Ave (and has been for more than a year). http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/board_ ... ements.pdf. See pg. 4. Arlington Cemetery is also scheduled to undergo platform rehab.
 #1242971  by afiggatt

JDC wrote:A potential related update: per a document from Metro's Jan. 9th meeting, the platform(s) at National Airport are scheduled to undergo 'rehabilitation' similar to what is occurring at Deanwood/Minn. Ave (and has been for more than a year). http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/board_ ... ements.pdf. See pg. 4. Arlington Cemetery is also scheduled to undergo platform rehab.
The Jan 9 Customer Improvement presentation is a useful document for info on what is planned to be finished in FY15. All 47 underground stations are to receive lighting improvements. Which 23 stations are to undergo major or mini rehabilitation projects. Which 14 stations with 10 to be selected are expected to get the new faregates for testing.

As for the platform rehab at National Airport, if the pocket track is restored before the rehab starts, would they then be able to do the rehab work on one platform while using the other platform for traffic in both directions?
 #1243087  by Sand Box John

"afiggatt"
As for the platform rehab at National Airport, if the pocket track is restored before the rehab starts, would they then be able to do the rehab work on one platform while using the other platform for traffic in both directions?

Yes and no. Only one half of either of the platforms can be rehabilitated when trains are using the pocket track for safety reasons.

Outbound trains using track 1, inbound trains using track 3, rehabilitation to the track 2 half of the inbound platform.
Inbound trains using track 2, outbound trains using track 3, rehabilitation to the track 1 half of the outbound platform.
Outbound trains using track 1, inbound trains using track 2, rehabilitation to both of halfs of the platforms serving track 3.

Under such a schema one platform would be used to discharge and board passengers as half of the other platform is being rehabilitated. When the rehabilitation is done on the halfs of both platforms that serve tracks 1 and 2 are done the halfs of both platforms that serve track 3 can be rehabilitated.
 #1243180  by JDC

I have not visited many outside platforms so I cannot vouch for the status of all of them, but National's platforms seem in decent shape. The biggest issue seems to be the part of the platform with the lights. Several portions are held up by temporary scaffolding-type metal structures. This is clearly visible from the outbound platform looking at the pocket track side of the inbound platform.
 #1243207  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
I have not visited many outside platforms so I cannot vouch for the status of all of them, but National's platforms seem in decent shape. The biggest issue seems to be the part of the platform with the lights. Several portions are held up by temporary scaffolding-type metal structures. This is clearly visible from the outbound platform looking at the pocket track side of the inbound platform.

The deterioration of surface and elevated station platform is the result of WMATA using corrosive chemicals to melt the snow and ice. The corrosive chemicals penetrate through the tile grout and into the structural concrete and corrode the reinforcing steel. WMATA in later outdoor station builds concluded that best way to increase the life of the structural concrete is to use epoxy coated rebar in the concrete. The original outdoor station builds did not use epoxy coated rebar. The rehabilitation are using epoxy coated rebar. This the same epoxy coated rebar that road designers have use for decades in concrete bridge decks.
 #1243666  by JDC

Interesting sight last night and this morning:

There is a 2 car train parked at the middle track at National Airport. All doors are open, but Metro has installed plastic barriers in the cars so you cannot walk down the length of the cars. All you can do is cross from one side of the platform to the other (i.e. inbound to outbound) via the doorways. The train is operating sort of as a bridge between the two platforms. As I passed by last night, it looks like these cars have the new flooring in them.

Anyone have any ideas what this relates to? Platform reconstruction, pocket track construction, or showing off the new flooring?
 #1243899  by Mainland

JDC wrote:Interesting sight last night and this morning:

There is a 2 car train parked at the middle track at National Airport. All doors are open, but Metro has installed plastic barriers in the cars so you cannot walk down the length of the cars. All you can do is cross from one side of the platform to the other (i.e. inbound to outbound) via the doorways. The train is operating sort of as a bridge between the two platforms. As I passed by last night, it looks like these cars have the new flooring in them.

Anyone have any ideas what this relates to? Platform reconstruction, pocket track construction, or showing off the new flooring?
Per a tweet from Metro, this is a bridge train to allow elevator access while elevator rehab takes place.