• National Airport pocket track now single crossover

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

Seems this one has slipped through without being noticed.

WMATA has permanently removed 4 of the turnouts that use to connect the pocket track to the main line. I didn't notice it at the time I took this pictures on 03 27 2006 that WMATA intended to eliminate those turnouts in the interlocking.

Original and present configurations

maps.live.com 'birds eye view'

Presently inquiring as to why this was done.

The new configuration basically eliminates using National Airport as a short turn terminal. The configuration will still allow WMATA to use the pocket track to store gap trains.

WMATA has used the pocket track for displaying to the media and the public proposed interior car reconfiguration.
  by Sand Box John

"realtype"
Why would they do that? It just hurts Metro's flexibility.

How true.

Got an answer as to why it was done. Over reaction to the 02 20 2003 derailment north of the station.
  by MACTRAXX

SBJ: I recall back when the Blue Line opened to National Airport in 1977-I first visited Washington in 2/78 and I used Metro regularly on visits until the late 80s-that center track was used for trains terminating at National Airport-I wondered why that track had jointed rail-and those platforms were a good place to watch planes takeoff and land at National Airport until the new North Terminal was constructed in the late 80s-early 90s period. Does METRO lay up or turn trains there today? MACTRAXX
  by Sand Box John

"MACTRAXX"
SBJ: I recall back when the Blue Line opened to National Airport in 1977-I first visited Washington in 2/78 and I used Metro regularly on visits until the late 80s-that center track was used for trains terminating at National Airport-I wondered why that track had jointed rail-and those platforms were a good place to watch planes takeoff and land at National Airport until the new North Terminal was constructed in the late 80s-early 90s period. Does METRO lay up or turn trains there today?

To answer your last question first. As far as I know, no. The reconfigured arraignment of the interlocking is such that the only way to enter the middle track with a train traveling in the normal direction flow is to reverse the direction of the train after passing the station. They may still use it to hold gap trains.

As to use of stick rail on track 3, I have no idea why that was done originally.

As mentioned in my opening post; "WMATA has used the pocket track for displaying to the media and the public proposed interior car reconfiguration."

It is also worth mentioning, National Airport remained the western terminal for the Blue line until Van Dorn Street opened on 06 15 1991.
  by DCmetrogreen

What I don't understand, John, is why WMATA didn't just make the center track stub ended with a wye turnout at the north end. That way, gap trains could be held there and trains could still terminate at Nat'l Airport. The new configuration seems almost useless - if they're going to do that, they might as well just remove the center track and fill in the platform.
  by Sand Box John

"DCmetrogreen"
What I don't understand, John, is why WMATA didn't just make the center track stub ended with a wye turnout at the north end. That way, gap trains could be held there and trains could still terminate at Nat'l Airport. The new configuration seems almost useless - if they're going to do that, they might as well just remove the center track and fill in the platform.

As you may recall their was a derailment that happened on 02 20 2003 in the north end of the interlocking at National Airport. As I recall that train was coming out of the pocket track. It is my understanding that the reconfiguration was an done as the result of that derailment. Some within WMATA feel that it was an over reaction to that derailment.

One of the things I noticed when the station opened was all the gyration trains had to go through to enter and exit the station at the north end. The combined vertical and horizontal curves north of the station required a great deal attention and maintenance. As I recall at that time WMATA was replacing the rail on south bound track C2 every 18 to 24 months from the turnout to a point roughly halfway between the portal and Crystal City. North bound track C1 between the same points also required rail replacement but not as often.
  by Mainland

In today's board meeting, Richard Sarles announced Metro's 2014 - 2016 business plan, part of which includes reopening the pocket track at National Airport. While I didn't hear any hard specifics on a timeline, the attached plan indicates it's a 2014 goal.

http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/board_ ... 130912.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by JDC

Mainland - I had been meaning to post about this, but forgot about it. The new Northern VA Transportation Authority denied Metro's request to pay for five million dollars worth of this project. See the pdf, page 17 (http://www.thenovaauthority.org/PDFs/HB ... 061913.pdf). The denial is mentioned here (http://www.thenovaauthority.org/PDFs/Me ... -18-13.pdf). The first pdf explains what Metro wants to do, and there is an indication Metro wanted to do this in 2014.

What I want to know is why? I mean, I understand why this is a benefit, and I recall someone (John?) mentioning why they removed it, but why do they think they can do it right this time?
  by Sand Box John

"JDC"

What I want to know is why? I mean, I understand why this is a benefit, and I recall someone (John?) mentioning why they removed it, but why do they think they can do it right this time?

My best guess is Richard Sarles took a look at the original reasons for decommissioning the pocket track and came to the conclusion that it was ridicules. I don't think there was anything wrong with the pocket in the first place. All of the turnouts in the interlocking were upgraded with guarded turnouts prior to its decommissioning.

I think the reason why NVTA rejected the request for funds to pay for part of the price of restoring the pocket track is because they were not included in the decision process to decommission it.
  by farecard

I heard that its absence makes single-tracking in the area a major PITA operationally. I've not consulted John's track map to see why that is..... But we all know we're facing ongoing single-tracking, system-wide, for the foreseeable future.
  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
I heard that its absence makes single-tracking in the area a major PITA operationally. I've not consulted John's track map to see why that is..... But we all know we're facing ongoing single-tracking, system-wide, for the foreseeable future.

With the pocket track the segment lengths for single tracking on either side of National Airport are 1.35 miles to the north and 2.48 miles to the south. Without the pocket track the single tracking segment becomes 4.39 miles. I don't think I have to calculate the distances between the rest of the interlockings in the system to come to conclusion that without the pocket track it would be the longest segment between double crossover capable interlockings in the system. I would probably be correct in guessing that the 2.48 miles distance between the National Airport pocket track and the double crossover north of Bradock Road is likely above the average distance between interlockings.

It should be noted that the plan for the infill station at Potomac yard includes the installation of a new double crossover north of the station and WMATA shortened the maximum distance between between interlockings in their design specification in the late 1980s.
  by Mainland

farecard wrote:I heard that its absence makes single-tracking in the area a major PITA operationally.
To that point, back in March there was an early morning hydraulic fuel leak at/around National Airport where Metro was forced to single track from Braddock to Pentagon City for the morning rush. (I recall a few pictures of the scene of clean up crews working on the outbound track at the platform.) Maybe the spill was more widespread and not just at the station, but it's possible having full use of the pocket track could have greatly eased the delays that day.

There have been other incidents where a full pocket track would have been useful, but this is just the most recent.
  by JDC

I recall that mess - was extremely late for work because of it. Since Reagan is a station I pass daily, if and when this project begins I'll snap photos to document its progress.
  by JDC

As an update, passing by National Airport this evening I noticed they had placed Metro's yellow safety fencing alongside the working tracks. I've never seen this here before, and I do not think it has anything to do with this weekends track work. So, I would put some money on maybe it being related to the restoration of the pocket track? I'll post photos as soon as I can.