Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1488127  by p42thedowneaster

Interesting to hear that there are active railroads running along pipelines. I would certainly accept that there would be crossings, but the idea of having them share an row seems like it could have risks. I'm not sure I would want to run the Jordan spreader unless I knew exactly where the pipe was!
Speaking of which check out these cool pics of a spreader and RS3 being used in Epping in the mid 1960s courtesy of "Gil Ford"
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2545008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2545006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Photo 2 is on the old WN&P (Fremont Branch) not sure about #1, could be either the Portsmouth or Fremont.
 #1488581  by Jonathan603

DO-1 headed up to Rockingham at 5:20 with 11 empties. I went to Depot Road with my son to see if I could catch it but did not get there in time. I saw it in the distance with my telephoto but it was just sat there around 6:30. It was there for at least half an hour. I headed back to Rockingham but could only see it sat on the track not moving again. Any ideas why? Presumably it eventually made it to Rockingham to tie down. Picture below.
IMG_1241.jpg
IMG_1241.jpg (825.06 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
 #1488899  by MEC407

p42thedowneaster wrote:Interesting to hear that there are active railroads running along pipelines. I would certainly accept that there would be crossings, but the idea of having them share an row seems like it could have risks.
There is a gasoline pipeline within the right-of-way of one of Union Pacific's (formerly Southern Pacific) mainlines. In the late '80s there was an incident that ended in dramatic and tragic consequences:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Berna ... n_disaster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1490294  by Jonathan603

Have heard some chatter about track work on the Portsmouth branch the last few days. I saw a couple of maintenance work vehicles on the branch line at Rockingham yesterday and saw this heading past Depot road towards Emery today on my way to work. I noticed at the weekend that nothing has happened since they removed the brush from the stretch of track in Newington that crosses Patterson Lane. I wonder if they are doing anything down there?

Also, does anyone know what is at MP P8? I have heard a few radio transmissions between Emery and MP P8 the last few days?

Video from this morning: https://youtu.be/yMzpBE7fL9c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1490357  by central.vermont

Well tonight's outbound had the 515 dragging 20 empties!! Train rundown was 3 Fish, 3 Boise, 3 Tyco, 1 empty Ballast, 9 Boise and 1 Tyco. Caught them on their way out and between Bayside Rd and Great Bay Rd they stalled. Eventually they were able to get it moving again but it took most of twenty minutes to go about 4 car lengths!! :P
They did make it to the jct and went off duty with the train tied down on the pads at about 1700.

Jon
 #1490394  by Jonathan603

A huge length for the Portsmouth branch! I saw it last night at Rockingham on our way out to dinner. I drove my son down there to see it but but ended up confusing the crew who thought their cab had arrived... oops!
 #1490630  by b&m 1566

Any updates or pictures of the track rehab for Sea 3?
 #1490640  by Jonathan603

Haven't seen any progress. Do we know for sure that it is happening?

Here are a couple of pictures of Pan Am working on the derailment today. It was the middle car of three over on the Highliner spur just short of the crossing.
2.jpg
2.jpg (165.36 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (216.23 KiB) Viewed 1504 times