Railroad Forums 

• What was CR last Alco?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#174207  by AmtrakFan

Group,
What was the last Alco Conrail ever had?

#174228  by GOLDEN-ARM

Loco or slug? In service, stored? :-D
 #174239  by Noel Weaver

I can't recall for sure and do not have that information handy but I would
venture a guess that very late in the Alco scheme of things might be none
other than the RS-3's that were assigned to the Metropolitan Region out
of Croton-Harmon and New Haven and used on wire trains, work trains
and equipment moves.
The above RS-3's were eventually replaced by B-23-7's which had some
modifications so they could operate into Grand Central Terminal and
through Park Avenue Tunnel. This occurred in the early 1980's.
Noel Weaver

#176227  by AmtrakFan

Thanks guys. For Golden Arm I mean in Service.

#176255  by Amtrak31

I saw an older Conrail GE yesterday on a manifest. I need to check my photos for the number.

#176329  by GOLDEN-ARM

I have photos of RS-2 and RS-3 locos working out of E'port, Oak Island and at Cranford yard, from the early 80's, as well. They were NOT Dewitt rebuilds. At the same time, I also photo'ed RS-1's working the NEC, for Amtrak, as well as RS-3 and SW-1 locos. Will have to see what I can find, for a dated photo, if any. :-D

#181546  by conrail71

Hey,
I've got a photo dated 5/23/1979 showing an eastbound freight at CP 367 in Rochester, NY. The consist includes ex-L.V.C-628 #626 CR # 6722. That's the most recent Conrail Alco photo I have in my collection in Conrail paint. I also have a photo taken at Dewitt on 8/27/1979 of an ex-PC/PRR C-630 #6324. In the photo it is a CR paintout and the CR # is 6774. At the time it appears to be out of service as the number boards are gone as are some of the access doors and intake and radiator screens.
Mike