• What was CR last Alco?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

by AmtrakFan

Group,
What was the last Alco Conrail ever had?

by GOLDEN-ARM

Loco or slug? In service, stored? :-D
  by Noel Weaver

I can't recall for sure and do not have that information handy but I would
venture a guess that very late in the Alco scheme of things might be none
other than the RS-3's that were assigned to the Metropolitan Region out
of Croton-Harmon and New Haven and used on wire trains, work trains
and equipment moves.
The above RS-3's were eventually replaced by B-23-7's which had some
modifications so they could operate into Grand Central Terminal and
through Park Avenue Tunnel. This occurred in the early 1980's.
Noel Weaver

by AmtrakFan

Thanks guys. For Golden Arm I mean in Service.

by Amtrak31

I saw an older Conrail GE yesterday on a manifest. I need to check my photos for the number.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I have photos of RS-2 and RS-3 locos working out of E'port, Oak Island and at Cranford yard, from the early 80's, as well. They were NOT Dewitt rebuilds. At the same time, I also photo'ed RS-1's working the NEC, for Amtrak, as well as RS-3 and SW-1 locos. Will have to see what I can find, for a dated photo, if any. :-D

by conrail71

Hey,
I've got a photo dated 5/23/1979 showing an eastbound freight at CP 367 in Rochester, NY. The consist includes ex-L.V.C-628 #626 CR # 6722. That's the most recent Conrail Alco photo I have in my collection in Conrail paint. I also have a photo taken at Dewitt on 8/27/1979 of an ex-PC/PRR C-630 #6324. In the photo it is a CR paintout and the CR # is 6774. At the time it appears to be out of service as the number boards are gone as are some of the access doors and intake and radiator screens.
Mike