Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1537069  by ST Saint

Matt Johnson wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:00 pm Also the Acela blob thing is backwards on the right side, as on the model which turned out to be completely accurate.
It looks like they are keeping it with the acela text as a whole logo so I bet it'll remain that way.

At least the stripe on the engine makes it flow better. Growing on me just like the Chargers have.
 #1537071  by bostontrainguy

Matt Johnson wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:16 pm The second set based on a video I saw has the full, final paint scheme, and they didn't fix the mismatch in profile between locomotives and coaches. So, no hope of additional shrouding/cladding. Oh well.
Yeah but the full paint job helps a lot.
 #1537084  by bostontrainguy

BandA wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:38 pm What's with the splatter of paint near the door? What is the car at the center of the consist?
GEN.jpg
GEN.jpg (32.67 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
Reminds me of the short-lived fading graphic on the original Genesis locos. Why Amtrak? Why do it again?

The car without doors with the blue stripe? That's the seatless cafe.
 #1537101  by Pensyfan19

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:27 pm
BandA wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:38 pm What's with the splatter of paint near the door? What is the car at the center of the consist?
GEN.jpg
Reminds me of the short-lived fading graphic on the original Genesis locos. Why Amtrak? Why do it again?

The car without doors with the blue stripe? That's the seatless cafe.
I've always felt that the fading graphic on the genesis and now the Avelia Liberty reminds me of a certain scene in Marvel cinematography... :wink:

Mr. Stark, I don't feel so good...(Sorry XD)

Kind of reminds me how Amtrak is doing so far with decreased ridership and being threatened with budget cuts, especially after losing the Hoosier State last year. Hopefully we have an Iron Man come in and save the day with more funding and to help improve Amtrak, especially now that we are getting a new CEO.
 #1537109  by Tadman

I know I'm in a minority, but I've never disliked the modified Phase 3 with the fading dots, nor the Genesis shape. I'm good with both.

The only genesis I didn't like was the G-string, which was just atrocious design.
 #1537121  by liftedjeep

As of 23:23 on 3/18, the Avelia Liberty trainset was still in Race Street Yard at 30th Street Station. Seen here in a few night shots:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5282159

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5282160

The yard was also jammed packed with a various array of Amtrak power, including three Acela sets, four City Sprinters, two P42DCs, and four Geeps:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5282161

Ben
 #1537125  by gokeefe

Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:07 pmKind of reminds me how Amtrak is doing so far with decreased ridership and being threatened with budget cuts, especially after losing the Hoosier State last year.
I would describe the termination of the Hoosier State as a net gain. A perpetually late train with a perpetually stubborn political sponsor. Allowing the train to finally die allowed Amtrak to show other communities that, "yes" they will in fact terminate service in places that refuse to pay the mandated PRIIA formula.

No fiscal gymnastics there. "You don't pay, we don't run." Doesn't get much simpler than that. Some of the Indiana political class will be pleased with themselves but when Ohio finally decides to fund their own corridor trains and won't pickup Indiana passengers (or drop them off on the way home) they won't feel so smart.

This has finally begun to happen in New Hampshire where it has come to the attention of legislators after years of waiting that nobody besides them will pay for a train to Concord.

Avelia Liberty is likewise going to be something of a game changer in its own right. When Amtrak pulls this off a lot of other communities are going to start screaming for high speed rail. If the service can pay for itself and make the loan payments then the question from Congress (This ones for you Virginia) will be, "When do we get one?" As opposed to "How will we pay for it?".

The reduction in energy consumption and the far greater availability of equipment constitutes an imminent paradigm shift. This is something which I don't think is fully appreciated at all.
 #1537126  by gokeefe

Post Script ... You will be able to hear the shouting in the conference rooms the day it comes out: "Why the f*** does Richmond get Acela service before Albany?!?"

If you think I'm kidding think again. Its no joke at all. Read the tea leaves and you'll see it's already being brewed. Albany may not fully realize it yet but when they do there will be phone lines burning at 1 Mass Ave.
 #1537129  by mtuandrew

gokeefe wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:14 pm Post Script ... You will be able to hear the shouting in the conference rooms the day it comes out: "Why the f*** does Richmond get Acela service before Albany?!?"

If you think I'm kidding think again. Its no joke at all. Read the tea leaves and you'll see it's already being brewed. Albany may not fully realize it yet but when they do there will be phone lines burning at 1 Mass Ave.
Perhaps, but we will be on Acela III by the time Richmond gets electric service. Lotta rail to build before then, as well as solving the Ashland problem (meaning a tunnel or bypass for CSX) and ponying up for the necessary electrical distribution system and 25kV 60Hz system, undercutting the 1st Street Tunnel in DC to clear wire - oh yeah, and a second Long Bridge.