Railroad Forums 

• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1377612  by aem7ac921

runningwithscalpels wrote:Please do enlighten us on your apparent insider information about why the Danbury Rail Museum would want a toaster...
This was quite a while ago, one of my freinds (who happens to volunteer there from time to time) mentioned this to me in 2013 that the thought has crossed their minds. Whether or not they still want one I'm not quite sure. That's why I said "past indications" in my previous post.

Also that petition that went around last month to save 929 mentioned that they would send it there, but I highly doubt that petition will do too much.

The RMNE was also considering preserving one but ruled it out due to budget and space limitations.
 #1377626  by runningwithscalpels

RMNE preserving a toaster...that's another comical proposition.

The 929 preservation petition was created by a 13 year old who doesn't know what resources would actually be involved in preserving a motor...so I would take any proclamations made in that with a boulder of salt...
 #1377635  by aem7ac921

I figured the petition was by a young railfanner, but I was unsure upon how old he was. I never took that seriously in the first place but I thought I'd throw that in there anyways.

I am a member of the RMNE and I do from time to time participate in their events, however I would like to become more active. In summer/fall of 2014 was when we were thinking about preserving the 902, but as I mentioned earlier we didn't have enough money or space available for one. As we all know, the 902 was cut up last April.
 #1377641  by Jeff Smith

RMNE/Naugy is a wonderful operation, but they are not really set up for static displays. Their yard is down line and secure, and since the track is non-electric, they'd have no use for a toaster. They're an actual working railroad.

DRM would be more logical; although they no longer run excursions, they do have a fairly sizable yard for static displays. And there's the ever present talk of electrification of the branch, even if it's uninformed and ill-advised.
 #1378490  by ryanov

aem7ac921 wrote:To my knowledge, 902, 910, 912, 950, 951, and 953 are defiantly scrapped.
Defiantly, eh? Defiant of the facts, or do the locos actually fight back against the scrapping machine?
 #1378505  by aem7ac921

ryanov wrote:
aem7ac921 wrote:To my knowledge, 902, 910, 912, 950, 951, and 953 are defiantly scrapped.
Defiantly, eh? Defiant of the facts, or do the locos actually fight back against the scrapping machine?
Sorry about that, autocorrect messed me up again. I the reason why I say "definitely" scrapped is because I've seen the pictures of them in multiple pieces, and I have a piece of 910. The only reason that I could be wrong in this instance is if someone photoshopped and changed the numbers, which is highly unlikely and nobody in their right mind would go through all that trouble for something like that.
 #1378567  by aem7ac921

Well, here's the pictures so you can decide for yourself whether it's photoshopped or not. If it has been, the person usually makes a tiny mistake that I'm often able to catch. I can't find the picture of 912, but here's the links to the others:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 757&nseq=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you google "AEM-7 scrap", pictures of 910, 950, 951, and 953 in multiple pieces. I had trouble with the links to those but they're very easy to find.
 #1379590  by Noel Weaver

I am happy to see this one available and open again. The AEM-7's were the last passenger locomotives still operating that I actually operated not counting MU equipment. I hope it will remain available for postings as I am quite interested in the few still operating.
Noel Weaver
 #1379681  by ryanov

Noel Weaver wrote:The AEM-7's were the last passenger locomotives still operating that I actually operated not counting MU equipment.
Just curious what you mean here -- I guess you ran the Metroliner EMUs when they were powered?
 #1379822  by Noel Weaver

ryanov wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:The AEM-7's were the last passenger locomotives still operating that I actually operated not counting MU equipment.
Just curious what you mean here -- I guess you ran the Metroliner EMUs when they were powered?
What I meant was that these motors were the last ones still running that I operated back in my days as a passenger engineer. My last Amtrak trip was in 1982, Metro-North after that and nothing but Conrail freight after 1987.
Noel Weaver
 #1380763  by Gilbert B Norman

chuchubob wrote:Last Monday I caught 946moving from WAS to Ivy City with 626.
A wonderful photo, Mr. Vogel.

The torch has been passed.