• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

the odometer readings of AEM-7's were posted on NEC FB group, other than few engines who failed early, most had between 4 and 5 million miles on them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by aem7ac921

This was taken a year ago today. Who knows where 949 and 932 are at the moment. 901 is still sitting in Wilmington and 915 is at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4143266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by DutchRailnut

looks like a lot of parts gone on 949 .
  by ApproachMedium

The leased units go back to the bank. The bank doesnt want them.

942 confirmed today in MARC service.
  by amtrakhogger

The 901 still is in the same spot.
  by 8th Notch

The 949 and 932 are in Bear DE with every other DC unit that has not been cut up yet. My last visit they were all lined up along with the HHP8s and T****liner's on 2 storage tracks to the side of the shop rusting away.
  by aem7ac921

8th Notch wrote:The 949 and 932 are in Bear DE with every other DC unit that has not been cut up yet. My last visit they were all lined up along with the HHP8s and T****liner's on 2 storage tracks to the side of the shop rusting away.
Are all the AEM-7s completely parted out?
  by Jeff Smith

ApproachMedium wrote:The leased units go back to the bank. The bank doesnt want them.

So the bank has to figure the scrap value, versus any potential revenue stream they may get from bargain leases to small(er) operators under the wire, or other resale.
  by ApproachMedium

Jeff Smith wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:The leased units go back to the bank. The bank doesnt want them.

So the bank has to figure the scrap value, versus any potential revenue stream they may get from bargain leases to small(er) operators under the wire, or other resale.
The bank has zero issue of leasing them out, etc. They dont know anything about locomotives. If anything possibly they could sell to someone else but id think they would want to sell the whole lot. Amtrak doesnt want them on the property too long after lease expires also.
  by SRich

Are al the AEM-7 leased or does Amtrak own some units?
  by ACeInTheHole

SRich wrote:Are al the AEM-7 leased or does Amtrak own some units?
If you were paying attention, only a few posts above you one of the guys alluded to 942 being Amtrak owned. All of the DCs and some of the ACs are Amtrak owned I believe. I do not know which ACs.
  by ApproachMedium

Price of copper for the amtrak owned ones. the bank ones you can probably bet your bottom dollar they will vanish quickly.
  by ThirdRail7

aem7ac921 wrote:I saw a page on the Internet (not Wikipedia) and it had the status of all the AEM-7s as of 3-14-16. I'm having trouble with the link, so I'm going to provide you with a summery of what it said. Please let me know if there are any inaccuracies.

Your list is replete with inaccuracies, particularly when it comes to which units have parts removed. Additionally, your list does not differentiate between "stored" as in stored serviceable vs stored decommissioned. All of the AEM-7s that aren't in service are stored, but some of them can be used again if the need arises. Others are not gong to be used again.

A perfect example is the 908 vs the 921. The 921 is stored and actually has a good date. If they so desired, it wouldn't take much time to get in back in service. Conversely, the 908 is also stored and has an even better date. However, it has been decommissioned. It would take a heck of a lot to get this unit back on the beam if they decided they needed it and it probably wouldn't happen.

And no, I'm not listing which units are decommissioned versus stored. Someone else can do it or ask your other source.
  by aem7ac921

ThirdRail7 wrote:
aem7ac921 wrote:I saw a page on the Internet (not Wikipedia) and it had the status of all the AEM-7s as of 3-14-16. I'm having trouble with the link, so I'm going to provide you with a summery of what it said. Please let me know if there are any inaccuracies.

Your list is replete with inaccuracies, particularly when it comes to which units have parts removed. Additionally, your list does not differentiate between "stored" as in stored serviceable vs stored decommissioned. All of the AEM-7s that aren't in service are stored, but some of them can be used again if the need arises. Others are not gong to be used again.

A perfect example is the 908 vs the 921. The 921 is stored and actually has a good date. If they so desired, it wouldn't take much time to get in back in service. Conversely, the 908 is also stored and has an even better date. However, it has been decommissioned. It would take a heck of a lot to get this unit back on the beam if they decided they needed it and it probably wouldn't happen.

And no, I'm not listing which units are decommissioned versus stored. Someone else can do it or ask your other source.
Thank you very much. I didn't expect you to list all the units because that is a lot. I'll delete the list so that no one gets confused. May I ask, are all the units stored in Bear decommissioned and all the units stored in Wilmington (except 901) serviceable? Are there also any units stored in Ivy City or are they all in Wilmington or Bear? Thank you so much again for your help.