Railroad Forums 

• Planned Reduced Winter Consists

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1313291  by Gilbert B Norman

Tadman wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:. Best solution of course can be borrowed from the railroads - Sleepers rear.
I didn't have a strong position on this one until I had an overnight ride on CofNO in the lead sleeper. Right behind the sole P42. The horn kept me up all night. It was not fun and certainly not worth the money. I don't see how anybody slept. The second P42 and baggage are a really nice sound buffer.
A bit off topic of reduced consists, but relevant to Mr. Dunville's captioned thought.

On my last Michigan Corridor ride during March 2012, to Ann Arbor, when passing by Ye Olde Benny's near Michiana Shores IN (MP 226), I made a call to my client/friend there. I was in Business Class and on the head. When blowing for El Portal (TD knows where all these places are), my friend says "what is that noise?". "He's blowing for El Portal". "Are you going to have to listen to that?". "Yeah, and I am paying for a Premium seat".

Wonder why I'm driving to Ann Arbor come Saturday?

Addendum: Today I observed #5 (22); 2 P42, Baggage, Lounge, 2 Coaches, Diner, 2 Sleepers (on rear). Also observed an EB #4 or 6. There was no Baggage, but Lounge was on the head 2 cars, Diner, 2 cars (cars used as, being 100yds away, I could not distinguish Coach from Sleeper).
 #1313450  by jp1822

Superliner sleepers running empty have been spotted on the Carbondale route. Guess the maintenance plan calls for sleepers to do test runs to make sure the wheels still turn....Superliner coaches also spotted on same route.

Actually it may be a good thing the sleepers are running so they don't freeze up in Chicago....Other Midwest routes are being held down by Superliner coaches instead of frozen prone Horizons.
 #1313493  by Mackensen

jp1822 wrote:Superliner sleepers running empty have been spotted on the Carbondale route. Guess the maintenance plan calls for sleepers to do test runs to make sure the wheels still turn....Superliner coaches also spotted on same route.

Actually it may be a good thing the sleepers are running so they don't freeze up in Chicago....Other Midwest routes are being held down by Superliner coaches instead of frozen prone Horizons.
Superliners subbing in for Horizons on the Midwestern routes happens every year. Re Carbondale, assuming that wasn't the CONO, I know that at one time CN had an axle-count requirement for those trains. I don't know if that requirement is still in effect.
 #1313503  by CHTT1

The axle count remains in effect on CN, which, unlike every other North American railroad, apparently can't adjust its highway crossing devices to accommodate shorter trains.
 #1313551  by gokeefe

CHTT1 wrote:The axle count remains in effect on CN, which, unlike every other North American railroad, apparently can't adjust its highway crossing devices to accommodate shorter trains.
If the pending ruling of the Supreme Court ruling goes Amtrak's way (which I believe it will at least in part) that rule isn't going to be allowed to stand much longer. I would anticipate a petition to the STB by Amtrak regarding this matter if they get a strong enough ruling in their favor.
 #1313553  by gokeefe

jp1822 wrote:Actually it may be a good thing the sleepers are running so they don't freeze up in Chicago....Other Midwest routes are being held down by Superliner coaches instead of frozen prone Horizons.
This should be one of the last winters that this operational tactic is required. It may happen during the Winter of 2015-2016 but by that time the new bi-levels will be just about ready for delivery.
 #1313559  by Jersey_Mike

gokeefe wrote: This should be one of the last winters that this operational tactic is required. It may happen during the Winter of 2015-2016 but by that time the new bi-levels will be just about ready for delivery.
Because new equipment always works better!

Will be interesting to see where the Horizons end up. There are a lot of routes that could use more seats.
 #1313582  by gokeefe

Jersey_Mike wrote:
gokeefe wrote: This should be one of the last winters that this operational tactic is required. It may happen during the Winter of 2015-2016 but by that time the new bi-levels will be just about ready for delivery.
Because new equipment always works better!

Will be interesting to see where the Horizons end up. There are a lot of routes that could use more seats.
Very fair point of course. New equipment doesn't always work better by any means. But we do know that the Horizon cars have got a problem and I have yet to read or hear of Nippon Sharyo cars having issues with operating in extreme cold. I'm sure like any other passenger rail coach everything works better if the car is left plugged into ground power during the coldest conditions. Otherwise I think it is far more likely than not that these cars will in fact perform better than the Horizon coaches.
 #1313850  by jp1822

Some baggage cars have already been pulled out for operation on 5/6 and 3/4. Supposedly the coach/baggage cars couldn't handle skis and other winter equipment passengers are allowed to carry along. Also, there may be more scrutiny on revenue management, in that if the sleepers fill up, a Trans Dorm/Sleeper will be added. Now this actually makes some good sense!
 #1313859  by gokeefe

jp1822 wrote:Some baggage cars have already been pulled out for operation on 5/6 and 3/4. Supposedly the coach/baggage cars couldn't handle skis and other winter equipment passengers are allowed to carry along. Also, there may be more scrutiny on revenue management, in that if the sleepers fill up, a Trans Dorm/Sleeper will be added. Now this actually makes some good sense!
So the implication here, in sum total, is that it appears that at long last Amtrak is implementing flexible consist management policies on the Mid-Western and Western Long Distance services.
 #1314193  by gokeefe

Matt Johnson wrote:One coach?! That's getting dangerously close to why not just run a bus status!
It has probably been like this every other year except in those years they simply ran a half (or more) empty train.