• Planned Reduced Winter Consists

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gokeefe

All the more reason to wonder if this is the beginning of flexible consist management for the Long Distance trains.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Today, I had a good observation of #5 (27). Consist comprised 2 P-42, Baggage, Lounge, 2 Coach, Diner, 2 Sleeper. Fortunately Amtrak has wised up and has placed Sleepers rear. There are three units between any revenue passenger and the horns.

Some may hold that Sleeper passengers are inconvenienced if they choose to use the Lounge. Really, how many, away from the railfan community do?
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Matt Johnson

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Some may Sleeper passengers are inconvenienced if they choose to use the Lounge. Really, how many, away from the railfan community do?
Don't know, but I do remember a very full Sightseer Lounge through Raton Pass on the Chief and through Glacier NP on the Builder. Should I ever get the opportunity to take the Zephyr, I shall surely spend some of that time in the lounge!
  by Mackensen

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Today, I had a good observation of #5 (27). Consist comprised 2 P-42, Baggage, Lounge, 2 Coach, Diner, 2 Sleeper. Fortunately Amtrak has wised up and has placed Sleepers rear. There are three units between any revenue passenger and the horns.

Some may Sleeper passengers are inconvenienced if they choose to use the Lounge. Really, how many, away from the railfan community do?
Mr. Norman makes a fair point. Often when I use the lounge it's because I find the table seating and outlet location more convenient for working than the layout of a roomette or bedroom, especially if I'm traveling with someone else. I rarely purchase anything. This isn't essential, of course. On 30 (25) we had 1 P-42, 2 Sleepers, Diner-Lounge, and 2 Coaches, and I did not feel inconvenienced. Thankfully I was not in the Sleeper closest to the locomotive.
  by EdSchweppe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Some may hold that Sleeper passengers are inconvenienced if they choose to use the Lounge. Really, how many, away from the railfan community do?
Anyone who wants a beer (or other tasty beverage not stocked by the sleeper attendant) outside of their assigned meal hours, for starters.

Not to mention the fact that the view from a Sightseer Lounge is usually better than that from a Superliner roomette.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Today I had an observation of what I think was #4 ( 26 ).

Consist comprised 2 P-42, 2 Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, 2 Coaches.

For those paying big bucks to ride Sleeper, hope you enjoy "listening to the music".
  by Engineer Spike

This is a smart move in my opinion. If travel is down, especially since this has been a really cold winter. Not hauling cars can save fuel. The time can be spent to shop the cars. In the past, the winter causes cars and locomotives to go bad order. This may give some room to have spares available. This might not just be spare cars. If the larger consist required 3 locomotives to pull it, maybe 2 would do. Now there are more spare engines too.
  by jobtraklite

Apparently the Feb 28 date for the return of normal consists was pushed forward. I just got off 5(30) and it had the normal winter consist with a slight twist: baggage, transdorm, 2 sleepers, diner, SSL, coach, and coach-baggage. Baggage was being handled from the coach-bag.

When someone reported that after a few days with the sleepers right behind the engine, they were swapped with the coaches, I assumed sleeper passengers had complained about diesel fumes. When the SSL was reported directly behind the engine, I assumed coach passengers had complained. When a bag was reported in between the engine and SSL, I assumed that lounge lizards had complained they couldn't get a good night"s sleep. Take it for what it's worth, but when I asked a veteran SCA attendant on #4 why the bag and transdorm returned earlier than planned, he said that an entire crew reported sick due to diesel fumes.

When I asked the LMY agent why the train had what looked like a deadhead baggage car, he said the bag was for express.
  by Backshophoss

There are 6 sets of equipment that cycle on the SWC,4 are moving and 2 sets are serviced.1 in Chicago and 1 in LA
What has been seen at ABQ has been 2 P-42's,Trans/Dorm,Sleeper,Diner,Lounge,Coach, and Coach/Bag, if a bag is on the head end
it's a Deadhead or Endpoint Express only for now,where possible,the 2nd unit is Isolated,till reaching Lajunta ,then online for Raton
and Glorieta Passes and across Cajon Pass on the Transconn.
BNSF is known to place an EVO-44 or 44c4 on the head end due to weather conditions from Kansas City to ABQ.
  by jobtraklite

Backshophoss wrote:There are 6 sets of equipment that cycle on the SWC,4 are moving and 2 sets are serviced.1 in Chicago and 1 in LA
What has been seen at ABQ has been 2 P-42's,Trans/Dorm,Sleeper,Diner,Lounge,Coach, and Coach/Bag,....
This makes 6 different lineups since the reduced consist began. It sounds like what you are saying is that each of the 6 SWC consists are different; and what you see depends on whose turn it is. This is the first explanation I've seen that seems to match the reported sightings.
  by jp1822

jobtraklite wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:There are 6 sets of equipment that cycle on the SWC,4 are moving and 2 sets are serviced.1 in Chicago and 1 in LA
What has been seen at ABQ has been 2 P-42's,Trans/Dorm,Sleeper,Diner,Lounge,Coach, and Coach/Bag,....
This makes 6 different lineups since the reduced consist began. It sounds like what you are saying is that each of the 6 SWC consists are different; and what you see depends on whose turn it is. This is the first explanation I've seen that seems to match the reported sightings.
It may take a while to get everything positioned properly. To me one of the most important cars Amtrak has is the Superliner Trans Dorm/Sleeper. This car has the potential for lower level modification and upper level better utilization, let alone the fact that it provides the necessary "transition" and blocks the diesel fumes...........There was a time when the Capitol Limited carried a Trans Dorm/Sleeper at the front and rear so it could accommodate through cars from the Pennsylvanian. But then the Three Rivers was finally extended to Chicago (and the Pennsylvanian). This car is also Amtrak's best bet for increasing sleeping car capacity, knowing that Amtrak isn't ordering LD Superliner equipment any time soon. With reduced onboard crews - this car has more sleeping capacity (even though all roomettes) than a single level Viewliner. Modify the old crew lounge into a "large bedroom of sorts" and it will be a hit!
  by Backshophoss

The weather at Chicago is not the best for switching cars around for now,and at times"borrowing" cars from other
consists seems to be the "Quick fix".
  by Gilbert B Norman

Based upon two observations I made today, the consists are now "normalized".

Observed 380 (12), Carl Sandberg, with consist of four Horizons and one Amcafe/Business.

Also observed 3 (12), Chief, with Bag, T-Dorm, 2 Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, 3 Coach.

Both are normal consists; we shall see if Amtrak tries it again next Winter. This consist reduction appeared to be of questionable value.
  by Matt Johnson

Safe to say the maintenance line was predictable BS? I hear the Pacific Parlour cars just gathered dust and rust in the yard.