Railroad Forums 

• Catskill Mountain Railroad News - 2008

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#491727  by Schooltrain

Reading Ernie Hunt's bulletins about the continuing excitement generated by the CMRR is enough to make me want to pack up and move to the Catskills or the Hudson Valley and join in the effort. :-D It also leads me to wonder why we don't have these kinds of updates on the CMRR's Adirondack cousin.
 #491934  by eehiv

Today, January 13th, Earl Pardini led a crew at Cornell Street continuing the installation of the new fence. Besides Earl, the crew consisted of Peter Fluchere, Mark Glaser, John Tuma, John Patane, Walt Otto, and Ernie Klopping.

The main accomplishment was the installation of the new east side vehicular gate for the expanded yard. This gate had previously been on the east side of Cornell Street, and no longer served a purpose there. It was rehabilitated and welded to new fence posts.

The next stage of the fence move will be the installation of the new gate for the RR tracks just north of the one installed today. Some photos:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... 731739.jpg

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... 431790.jpg

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... 231856.jpg

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 331994.jpg

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
Catskill Mountain RR
 #493151  by eehiv

Saturday, January 19th.

On Saturday, January 19th, we will hold our annual Volunteer Party at the Phoenicia train station from 10am to 4pm, courtesy of the ESRM.

Sunday, January 20th

On Sunday, Cornell Street yard will be closed.

In Phoenicia, no work parties are scheduled.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
Catskill Mountain RR
Last edited by eehiv on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #494122  by eehiv

Today, the CMRR held its annual volunteer party at the U&D station in Phoenicia, courtesy of the Empire State Railway Museum. A total of 46 volunteers attended the party. A review of accomplishments for 2007 and list of priorities for 2008 were discussed.

In the late afternoon, George Peck led a small crew consisting of Jason Ditolla, Dave Mason, and Jason Markowitz replacing bolts east of the east switch in Phoenicia.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 322675.jpg

No work parties are scheduled in Phoencia or Kingston for tomorrow, January 20th.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
Catskill Mountain RR
Last edited by eehiv on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#494157  by O-6-O

Just a fantastic day down in Phoenicia today at the annual vol meeting
and party. CMRR= Cando Mem(and gals) Really Rock. The accomplishments of the last two years (my tenure) has been nothing short
of remarkable. These guys just don't quit. As an example when I first
saw the rusting,burned out hulk of a caboose shell down in Kingston and heard of the plan to restore her,to myself I said NFW. While I had a part
in the restoration, the work that was done and the time frame it was done in just blows me away. Seeing the 401 in her new paint basking in the sun
down at the Plaza is sight unto itself. With so many RR groups languishing
half dead or treading water, the CMRR marches on. Why? Focused leadership, committed volunteers and egos in check are the reason I believe. Yes, I'm tooting our horn because we all earned it. If your on the fence about getting involved here there is no time like the present as the saying goes. '08 is gonna be great with much yet to do. Ernie, thanks again for all you do.

#494158  by O-6-O

:P :P :P :P :wink:

#495117  by Work Extra

Last time I was upstate the family took the kids to a museum with a pond and a barrel making display along with other cool stuff, If I'm not mistaken I think it was Davenport but I can't remember the name of the place. I could not help but notice a concrete whistle post and a perfectly graded embankment of a former rail line. Behind the whistle post there was a tombstone looking mile post that said K over 97 (K/97) A member of the museum said the K was Kingston N.Y. and that is was 97 miles from there. This part of the Line had no trackage but what was strange was that it just ended behind this museum the they shot out to what I believe was the east and that was it. I found no other traces of a bridge or embankment beyond it. Does any one have photos or information of this part of the line?

#495132  by deezlfan

Hanford Mills Museum in East Meredith NY. To pick up the rest of the roadbed you need to look on the other side of County Rte. 10. Do not remember the reason the roadbed was disrupted in that area.

#495185  by ricebrianrice

Correct, the Ulster & Delaware ran directly behind the Hanford Mills Facility. They have a small panel track, and a box car there for display. You can follow the ROW, but as stated is has been disrupted by road rework.

BTW, Hanford Mills museum is a great site. I was a memeber there for years.

You haven't lived until you stand in the basement watching the water wheel at full gate (full power), spinning all those wheels, pulleys, and belts. Then they bring the saw on line, and the whole building shakes, rattles and rolls. The feeling of power is amazing. I love that place!!!!

#495251  by Work Extra

Yes, that's the place, It was fun I enjoyed it. I did see the boxcar and it was placed so accordingly near the ROW if I remember correctly.
To the west of this site was the ROW and it's connection to the now CP main in Oneonta. I really liked the trail they have east of there I did not walk the entire length but is it all grass or is any if it paved?

Not to throw this off topic I do understand that a lot of work has gone into what's being done in Kingston and Phoenicia is there an ultimate dream to run the tracks back to here one day or will this part remain a nice trail?

#495254  by ricebrianrice

The ROW from Bloomville west to Oneonta is no longer intact, it is all owned by private individuals, so I doubt rails will ever be laid there again, but one never knows.

#495293  by O-6-O

Brian, The end of track is short of Rt-30 in Hubbell Corners abot 1 1/2
miles north of Roxbury. The grading of the road there has been leveled
and along with the old ROW's use now as a utility ROW, Hiking and snowmobiling trail,I'd say the chances of it ever being relaid as a rail line
are about 1 in 100,000. Thats why It is vitally important to save these
old lines. Once there gone, there gone for good.
 #495303  by eehiv

Mike,

Actually the DURR's long term plan is to re-lay the rails to Grand Gorge, MP 65.5. The tracks from Hubbell Corners to Grand Gorge were torn up in 2003 or 2004 to make way for a sewer line, and the rails are carefully stacked along the ROW, which was graded in such a way as to allow rails to be relaid. There is a turntable at Grand Gorge for a future terminal there.

The big problem is the crossing at Route 30 in Hubbell Corners, which will be a scissors crossing. There are also some elevation problems with Route 30. A bridge at MP 60 also needs work.

Beyond Grand Gorge, however, the chances for the rails being relaid are very low for the time being. However, the ROW is intact and under CRC ownership to Bloomville, so it could be done if the need ever arose.

If the D&U gets serious about going to Grand Gorge, you will first see the tracks restored to the end of track, MP 60.2. Perhaps as a first step, about 1/4 mile of track was rehabilitated this year west of Roxbury, from MP 59.3 to about MP 59.6. Let's see if they keep going west in 2008.

EH

#495416  by O-6-O

Well Ernie as per our conversation about the EOT at the vol party recrossing Rt-30 will by itself be a major hurdle. Look at what the CMRR
had to go through to get an exisiting crossing redone. The EOT elevation
is at least 3 ft higher than the road now and getting DOT to redo the approches and then install a new crossing in these economic times is well..... anybodys guess. I'm not trying to be negitive but this would take some doing. A bridge you say? Over a sewer line? Hmmm... when I see you again we can make a side bet. I'd love to see it though. Realistically
they have good track going East toward Highmount, why isn't there focus that way? Couldn't they take advantage of the Bellayre Ski complex and
work with CMRR to open up the double reverse curves farther down the line? Time will tell I guess.
 #495453  by eehiv

Saturday, January 26th.

On Saturday, January 26th, we will have two crews working.

Phoenicia

On Saturday, January 26th, George Peck will lead a crew doing boltwork on the line. They will meet about 9-9:30am in the Phoenicia Yard. They will be taking the work train to the Route 28 crossing in Mount Pleasant and be working from there east to Andrew's Lane. If you are running late, meet them east of Mt. Pleasant.

No work is planned on the 702 Saturday.

Kingston

On Saturday, January 26th, Earl Pardini will lead a crew at Cornell Street continuing to move the fence to expand the yard. He will open the yard at 9am.

Sunday, January 27th

Kingston

On Sunday, January 27th, Earl Pardini will lead a crew at Cornell Street continuing to move the fence to expand the yard. He will open the yard at 10am.

Upcoming Events

February 23rd - Entry Level Rules Class. Place to be determined.

Weather is expected to be sunny this weekend with highs in the upper 30's

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
Catskill Mountain RR