• Catskill Mountain Railroad News - 2008

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by eehiv

Thursday, December 11th

On Thursday, December 11th, Earl Pardini and Bob Blake did track maintenance work in Kingston.

Friday, December 12th

On Friday, December 12th, the Kingston Shuttle ran from 3 to 7pm.

Saturday, December 13th

Phoenicia

In Phoenicia, Ernie Gehrer, George Liucci, and Al Johnson worked on the 702. George Peck, Greg Peck, Dave Mason and Derek Stapleton worked on preparing the line for the Santa Train on Sunday.

Kingston

In Kingston, the Tannersville/Hunter high school marching band played at the loading platform at 12:30. The Shuttle service ran from 1 to 7pm.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 514895.jpg

Sunday, December 14th

Phoenicia

The Santa Train ran from Phoenicia to Rock Cut, MP 24.1, several times. Many passengers were carried as well as Santa.

Kingston

The following worked: Earl Pardini, Greg Vaughn, Gladys Gilbert, Ernie Klopping, John Watson, Mark Glaser, John Patane, John Tuma, Peter Fluchere, Raphael DeMeglio, Chester Hartwell, Dave Hilliard, Dakin Morehouse.

Besides running the Kingston shuttle service, they moved the new Mount Pleasant sign into the station there for storage, added a second small sealed beam rear headlight to the caboose, replaced missing bolts on a rail joint West of the O&W switch, and installed a temporary culvert combined with raising a low spot in the track just West of Albany Ave.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 720989.jpg

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 721097.jpg

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Friday, December 19th

Earl Pardini plans to open Cornell Street at 11am. In the morning he will be doing some finish work on the train, and getting ready for operations which will run from 3pm to 7pm.

Saturday, December 20th

Kingston

Earl Pardini plans to open Cornell Street at 9am get ready for running the Kingston shuttle from 1pm to 7pm. Those not involved in operations may work on projects in the yard.

Ray Farrell is trainmaster in charge of train crew, and if you want to work as Train Crew Saturday or any other day in the December Kingston schedule, call him at 845-229-5386.

Phoenicia

The 702 crew plan to work on Saturday on coach 702. Let George Liucci or Al Johnson know if you wish to join them.

George Peck will be leading a crew out of Phoenicia at 9am. They will be doing maintenance on the line from Phoenicia east.

Sunday, December 21st

Kingston

Earl Pardini plans to open Cornell Street on Sunday at 11am, in anticipation of starting operations at 1pm. If you wish to start earlier than 11, let Earl know. Any staff not needed for Kingston operations that day will probably be working on completing the new siding in Cornell Street Yard.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
Catskill Mountain RR
  by Otto Vondrak

Friday runs were cancelled today due to the weather, things should be back on schedule for Saturday and Sunday:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... 811650.jpg
  by chefwrg

I know you guys up there are used to it, but damn, I miss snow.....that is beautiful......

Win
  by Otto Vondrak

chefwrg wrote:I know you guys up there are used to it, but damn, I miss snow.....that is beautiful......
It'll be more beautiful when it stops!! :-D

-otto-
  by thebigham

Today's runs have been canceled due to the bad weather.
  by eehiv

by O-6-O

Wow, all that snow puts the finishing touches on a fantastic effort by the whole CMRR gang. I'm proud to be part of it. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.
  by eehiv

Friday, December 26th

Earl Pardini plans to open Cornell Street at 9am. In the morning he will be doing some work on the train, and getting ready for operations which will run from 3pm to 7pm.

Saturday, December 27th

Kingston

Earl Pardini plans to open Cornell Street at 10am get ready for running the Kingston shuttle from 1pm to 7pm. Those not involved in operations may work on projects in the yard.

Ray Farrell is trainmaster in charge of train crew, and if you want to work as Train Crew Saturday or any other day in the December Kingston schedule, call him.

Phoenicia

The 702 crew may plan to work on Saturday on coach 702. Let George Liucci or Al Johnson know if you wish to join them.

George Peck will be leading a crew out of Phoenicia at 9am. They will be doing maintenance on the line from Phoenicia east.

Sunday, December 28th

Kingston

Earl Pardini plans to open Cornell Street on Sunday at 10am, in anticipation of starting operations at 1pm. If you wish to start earlier than 10, let Earl know. 1/2 of our proceeds Sunday from operations will go to a local charity, Queens Galley.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
Catskill Mountain RR
  by greenwichlirr

You guys have done so much this year, I'm willing to bet you guys will be laying tracks back towards Oneonta within a few years! ;)

Seriously, though....here's to hoping that 2009 is as productive as you guys made it in 2008.
  by Otto Vondrak

I finally got to ride the train on Saturday. A nice crowd during the afternoon, a lot of happy riders. I helped Mimi play car host in the caboose and greet our passengers. It was fun tell everyone about our plans and get them excited, too. I didn't get to stick around to see the full effect of the lighting, but everything looked great. Here's looking forward to 2009!!

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

I should also mention that the caboose was equipped with a guard around the stove (to keep people from accidentally burning themselves or backing into it), and one of our volunteers outfitted one end of the car with a conductor's desk and bench. The nifty piece of woodworking also gives the car a bit of much needed storage. The decorating crew was at work, with the car completely outfitted with lights and holly and all the trimmings of the season.
  by eehiv

Saturday, December 27th

On Saturday, December 27th, Al Johnson and Ed Palmatier worked on completing the sills in coach 702 in Phoenicia. George Peck, Dave Mason and Paul Sternitzke worked in the Phoenicia yard.

Sunday, December 28th

On Sunday, December 28th, the CMRR donated half its proceeds, over $500, to Queens Galley, a local charity. We had an excellent turnout, both of customers and CMRR volunteers for the final runs of the year on Sunday. Our runs on Friday and Saturday also had excellent turnout.

Year 2008

2008 was a year of great accomplishments for the CMRR, which included:

Extending passenger Service .6 mile to Cold Brook Station, and running the work train to the Boiceville Bridge, MP 21.3.

Repairing track in Kingston to Washington Avenue, and starting shuttle service in December.

Completing conversion of caboose 675 and flat 213/278 to passenger service.

Repaint of CMRR No. 29, and partial repaint of CMRR No. 1.

Expanding Cornell Street yard by 3 times by moving the fence there, and starting siding construction at Cornell Street.

Extending track No. 2 in Phoenicia, and completing the section house repair.

Thorough overhall of the tie handler and scarifier, and nearly completing repair of the tamper.

Nearly completing renovation of the 702.

Sickle Bar cutting the line from Shokan to Phoenicia, plus lots of brushcutting along the whole line.

Increasing ridership and revenue for our best year ever.

All and all a great year, and we are planning on having an even better one in 2009.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
Catskill Mountain RR