Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1509275  by NHV 669

CGRLCDR wrote:My wife and I have reservations for the Notch Train in mid-June. We're really psyched (mostly me) to ride in the dome car.
Dorthea Mae? The future Rhonda Lee is no longer on the June ticket schedule, and is still sitting in Stratford, although it appears Notch tickets are available starting 7/2. CSRX equipment reached Hazens yesterday, so at least the entire operable portion of the line appears good to go.
 #1509279  by John Smythe

CGRLCDR wrote:My wife and I have reservations for the Notch Train in mid-June. We're really psyched (mostly me) to ride in the dome car. I came across this video on the B&M/MEC Mountaineer on YouTube. It covers both diesel and steam with lots of shots of the engine house and helpers working out of Bartlett. Cool stuff. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhY9-riqvk&t=2460s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One can buy & watch the entire 77 minute DVD called " New England Glory Vol. 1 " " Mountain Division " sold by Herron Rail Video view web site at herronrail.com
 #1509284  by John Smythe

Just returned from a fantastic 2 week trip out West. Back some 20 years ago when I was working on MEC #501 at CSRR, I met a vacationing UP RR Engineer who took interest in my activities, I gave him a tour of both #501 & #7470, he was very appreciative for me going out of my way to accommodate him. We have stayed in touch over the years ever since back then.

I received a e-mail from my UP friend a few weeks ago inviting me to come out to Cheyenne, WY to have a tour of my own of Big Boy #4014. I got to see everything real up close, the flashing & pounding of the oil burner system, blew my mind. Even got some cab time, what a locomotive, what a trip, what a great time. It pays to be nice to every visitor & railfan when you are a volunteer as one can never expect what the future holds. Not every former CSRX volunteer gets opportunity to ride a Big Boy, Thank you my good friend.

Sorry I got off CSRX topic for a few lines but I felt others would like to hear my story. Thanks.
 #1509285  by John Smythe

RTM wrote:I'm new to this so please be courteous to me, I'm a female railfan & love steam trains. I read that they bought a steam locomotive from a club or something, what can anybody tell me about it/

Yes, Conway Scenic Railroad did in fact purchase MEC #501 Steam Locomotive from The 470 RR Club earlier this year & the new owner of Conway Scenic RR, David Swirk plans to restore her to operational condition.
 #1509844  by John Smythe

Look at all the " J " hooks & spikes popped way up out of the ties just behind the ballast car. Those ties must be kerffed &rotted out.
 #1509969  by Mikejf

The "J" hooks that John is refering to are actually tie clips, and do look like that when properly installed. They keep the rail from moving too far and causing pull aparts or kinks. The spikes are just fine for the classification of track.