Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1510363  by b&m 1566

7470 was moving around the rail yard yesterday under it's own power for testing. Once the shop crews give the green light, insulation and boiler jacket will be put on for its final road test before heading into the paint booth. Plans are still on for 7470 to be used for the Trains Planes and Automobiles excursion to Hazen's. If 7470 is not ready in time the fill in will mostly likely be 4266.
Update on 501, the engine still hasn't been looked over yet for consideration for restoration. Their main focus all winter was on the 7470 and the Dorothy Mae, among other projects. The next focus will be one the 4268 and trying to get that ready for the 2020 season. 4266 is expected to be repainted as well to match the 4268.
I've been told the Ronda Lee won't make it on time for its scheduled appearance. Along with the washout just west of Crawford's Depot, that they are in the middle of repairing, NH Central also suffered a number of washout that they are fixing too.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1510441  by John Smythe

Using past history as a guide, The 470 RR Club #4268 restoration will go on & on & on. Word was that after the boiler tubes were removed from #501 workers would commence on undertaking a examination of her for restoration costs, etc. Once #7470 returns to service, the track next to the water spigot will need to be cleared so water can be taken on.

I am willing to predict that once #7470 begins to see daily service, #501 will be moved somewhere so that disassembly work can begin.
 #1510444  by b&m 1566

The updates are in plain site for most, I'm not sharing top secret information here. Not every one has a facebook account or twitter account, so I'm just consolidating the info for those that rely on this thread for updates. The info on 501 came directly from the Conway Scenic, they didn't get to inspect the 501 over the winter like they had hoped for; the main focus was on 7470 and with the other projects going on, they didn't get around to the 501.
My personal take on the 4268, I don't see that project dragging out, I get the sense the shop foreman is aggressive and likes to get things done and since the Conway Scenic is doing the lion share of the work on 4268, the 470 RR Club kind of needs to be ready to go when the railroad says, "lets go". With other capital improvement projects in line, if the club isn't ready when the railroad is ready, then they could run the risk missing their window of opportunity.
 #1510466  by b&m 1566

I don't know about that, it's certainly the first I've heard of it. Unless I'm missing something, all indications are pointing to next year for the 4268.
 #1510511  by Mikejf

I was talking with the owner of ML&M this winter after he removed the tubes from the 501. He said most of the boiler looked good at quick glance, but also noted there were some half a**ed repairs done by someone that thought they knew what they were doing. Putting patches on what looked like almost randomly. Patches that had been cut out with a torch, and the cuts never cleaned. He was not sure why the patches were even there. A thorough inspection is in order.
 #1510886  by John Smythe

Mikejf wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:47 am I was talking with the owner of ML&M this winter after he removed the tubes from the 501. He said most of the boiler looked good at quick glance, but also noted there were some half a**ed repairs done by someone that thought they knew what they were doing. Putting patches on what looked like almost randomly. Patches that had been cut out with a torch, and the cuts never cleaned. He was not sure why the patches were even there. A thorough inspection is in order.

Not sure exactly where these patches / cuts were made but a lot of the patching at the boiler barrel bottom were throat sheet braces that the boiler maker from R.I. cut out and welded in new rounds which leaked badly when hydro tested. Numerous old, stripped, rotted away " K " Flex Bolts comprised of many different sizes & configurations were cut out so they all could be replaced with new ones all the same size. This was also going to allow whoever was going to do the R-4 Form stress calculations an easier time working with all those " K " Bolts being the same size regarding holding strength. Winter arrived early at the end of 1999 & prevented me from grinding out the threads so a certified welder could close them up to a standard size in preparation for installation of new replacements which were to be full penetration welded to code. Just ran out of time. Lots of prep work still needed to be performed getting the firebox & wrapper sheet prepped, much of the ongoing work at that point in time was trying to finish the new throttle & quadrant components. I could only do so much work each weekend.
 #1510898  by John Smythe

The kind of talk coming from certain 2020 Presidential Candidates regarding their willingness to end the use of coal could spell trouble for operation of steam locomotives that burn coal. Many tourist railroads with steam engines may be forced to switch to oil.

Others with thoughts regarding this, speak up. Thanks.
 #1510916  by MEC407

Moderator Note:

I'll allow the discussion of whether or not it would be feasible to convert 7470 and/or 501 from coal to oil, but do not turn this into a political discussion about the 2020 election or the merits of coal.