Railroad Forums 

• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#618536  by Brendan

This is what I'm learning about its history. Build some time in the 20 it was first at Barium Steel Co. in Chester PA, then US Navvy in Norfolk Va during WWII, then it became Simons Wrecking Co #2, then went to Steam Town in Bellows Falls VT in 1965. then sold to Melvin Clark in 86, then RB Strong in Mass in 86, then JRM Hauling & Recycling, then Dick Carnevale in Peabody Mass in 05 and now Friends of the Valley RR in CT in 12/08. I'm not sure if it was still number 2 before WWII or not. its serial number when built was 7344.
All the tanks and cab and other big parts are now in Essex. Next week the remaining part consisting of the Boiler frame & wheels will be moved down to Essex. Brendan
 #618561  by Otto Vondrak

NOTICE: This thread dates back to 2004. In the interest of making information easier to find, we will be starting a new thread for 2009.
 #618591  by emtpjimd

Question - is the plan for a cosmetic restoration or full restoration to operation? While I do realize the latter is more heavily fund dependent, it would be great to see.....

Also, what is the status of #103? Is that owned by RMNE or is it owned by the Valley, and when was it last operational? I'm assuming it was left to rot due to the fact it didn't have the tractive effort required for the Valley's trains, but not sure so I'm asking...
 #618653  by H.F.Malone

RE: #103---

It is owned by RMNE. It last ran in 1976. The 97 entered service in mid-1973, and quickly became the regular engine, as most trains had become 5-6-7 cars long. 103 was really good with 3 cars, OK with 4 and struggled with 5 (I know, I fired it with all those combinations-- and no "Wally" back then, just coaches). As for "letting it rot", the boiler insulation was removed over 20 years ago-- that step is important, as the insulation gets water-soaked and helps rust the boiler shell exterior. An RMNE crew has greased the running gear every fall for the last 8-10 years (and did the same for #1246 when it was displayed in Essex yard).

#103 is small enough to move by truck, and with the arrival of the "new" 0-6-0T, that move will probably occur in 2009.
 #618740  by steveh

First of all, congrats to 'the Friends' for saving No 2! Huge kudos as well to Dick Carnevale for all of the effort he put in to saving this locomotive. Others tried for years, but when the planets finally aligned, Dick stepped up and made something happen.

Here are a couple of images (taken with the camera in my Blackberry) of No 2, just a couple of weeks ago, before the move began. Obviously much work has been done as she looks infinitely better than she did sitting in pieces in the junkyard in Newbury, MA for so many years. And now, happily on to even better days at The Valley! Great work, Brendan, Kevin, and all!

Stephen

#618891  by Brendan

Yes RMNE owns 103 and greases it once a year, but more than that has been done to preserve it. About 10 years or so ago, I put a new oak pilot beam on it and the Valley shop painted it around that time too, but not being ours, we have not but the effort into it it needs. I was kind of hoping if we The Volunteers proved are selves with the full restoration of #2, RMNE would consider an offer of 103 to the Friends, so it could get the attention it needs. it has a great history here and I and many others would love to see it stay and run again. I have heard that in it's last years the boiler pressure was reduced do to problems with the thickness of the boiler steel. if the proper repairs to the boiler were made the pressure could be raised and it's tractive effort improved.

as far as #2 is concerned, our plans right now are to cosmetically restore it, but not to do anything that would hinder a full, operational restoration, like the steam dome, must be removed but a a plan for its reinstall will be approved by the FRA and a certified welder will reinstall it, that way when we do go to operate it at least that will be done. Brendan
Last edited by Brendan on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #618894  by shadyjay

I too would love to see it stay in Essex, as it was the first operating (steam) locomotive on the property. As for it running - I'd be happy with her on display. Would a restoration to operational condition be worth it if she can only pull 3 cars? There is the dinner train, but that has 2 heavyweights (including the Wally and the Meriden), plus the Westerly.... err... Colonial Hearth. It'll be a sad day for me when she leaves Essex but now it seems for the first time there is a worthy replacement.

BTW, I liked the motion lights on her wheels for the holidays this year. I suggested that years ago but we never got around to doing it.
 #619208  by shadyjay

sebago35 wrote:Was #103 once a Reader Railroad locomotive?
Don't think so.... here's your history:
* Sumter & Chocktaw
* Empire State Railway Museum: Middletown & New Jersey
* Valley Railroad: operational in 1971, retired by mid 1970s, placed on display
* Conn Valley RR Museum/RRMNE: static display at Essex

Here's a heritage photo of her, from 1964:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... %20Company

Also, after browsing through one of my RR books, I have noticed that #103's boiler and tender were painted green while on the M&NJ.
 #619283  by Cosmo

shadyjay wrote: Here's a heritage photo of her, from 1964:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... %20Company
Wow!
I saw that pic but I didn't realize it was THE #103. :-)
Now, this is ONLY a thought, but,...
I can't help but wonder, (provided the 103 was at least CLOSE to operational) if CERM down in Willamantic might someday make use of it?
Like I said, JUST a THOUGHT.
 #619337  by Otto Vondrak

Cosmo wrote:I can't help but wonder, (provided the 103 was at least CLOSE to operational) if CERM down in Willamantic might someday make use of it?
Like I said, JUST a THOUGHT.
1) The 103 belongs to the NAUG/RMNE, not the Valley Railroad, so we might want to continue the discussion about it in that thread...

2) Nice thought, but where would CERM run it?

3) I don't think RMNE has any plans to get rid of the 103.
 #619366  by Cosmo

Well,.. it's just a musing, and granted a looooonnnngggg time off, but they plan to eventually have a conciderable length of track, (a mile or more,) to run on.
I understand it's RMNE property, but stranger things have happened. (Look at how MNGRR leases/loans out some of thier equipment.)
But ok, if it's worth more than a couple lines on this thread, I'd be happy to continue the discussion elsewhere...
(it's all good dude.)