• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Cosmo

BayColony1706 wrote:Hi Cosmo,

I can snap a shot for you, once I extracate the light from the depths of my folk's basement.
Sweet!
Thanks, no rush. I'm busy wrestling with my computer and my digital camera trying to get JUST ONE shot of my drawing to downnload!
(I'm having a BAD week with computers.... is Mercury in "retrograde" or something?)
  by Cosmo

Anything on for this weekend (saturday?)
  by BSRR

Cosmo wrote:Anything on for this weekend (saturday?)
Pounding spikes north of Goodspeed. :-D
  by Cosmo

Well,...
I was hoping for "Project 3025" work, but....

I'll try to come out if I can :wink:
  by Cosmo

Ok, how about this wed. night?
(Can we work on the headlights? Please?) :-D
  by Otto Vondrak

Cosmo wrote:Ok, how about this wed. night?
(Can we work on the headlights? Please?) :-D
Someone give this guy something to do before he has puppies all over the floor. ;-)
  by Pat Fahey

Hi All

What I would like too know,,has the Knox & Kane locomotive ,,from Pa ,,is it at the Valley RR,???

If not, when will it be on site,,thanks,Pat
  by Cosmo

The former K&K locomotive has begun to arive in bits and pieces. The tender, the boiler jacket ad many appliances have arrived already.
The boiler, frame and drivers/idlers have yet to come up. It may be many months before all the pieces arrive, especially since the drivers need turning and we are atttempting to have that done befre they arrive at the Valley.
So, to answer your question: "Yeah, sorta, but not really." :wink:
  by StLouSteve

Hi all,

Just found this thread and read all 30 pages. Brought back a flood of memories. I worked a couple of summers on the Valley in early 80s with Sloan, Lewis, Brooks, CP Case, Goodwin, Arnie Frease, Bill Sample, Charlotte Pike, Anderson family, and lots of others. Lived in the Bunk car and worked daily train service during regular season and ticket seller/dispatcher during some of the early school trips.

Lots of good times and memories, some not so good, like the time Roebling nearly killed me by rolling his jeep two times in the yard and I woke up in Yale ER in New Haven or the time I broke my leg sliding into 2nd in the annual softball game against the boat crew and then spent the rest of the season hopping around Essex yard on crutches or riding my motorcycle with a big old cast on my leg.

Hard to picture the many changes. I haven't even seen the Shoreline since it was electrified. Used to hop off Amtrak and sometimes shoeleathered it up to Essex along the rails.

Recall that the Goodspeed Opera house had great beef ribs. Many bull sessions at Bickfords, buying white shirts (for train service--didn't stay white for long with all the coal smoke) at Caldor's. Taking a dip in the mill pond up the street. Visiting over winter with the coal stoves going in the bunk car and the steam lines hooked up on the train.

Lots more. Great to see that things are still going strong and another steamer joining the roster (I was there before the other Chinese steamer--just 103 (stuffed), 97 & 40 back then).
  by CannaScrews

StLouSteve wrote:Hi all,

Lived in the Bunk car
Did your coverall's stand up all by themselves?????

Which bunk did you occupy and were you partially responsible for the wasting of the rail just on the north end of the Bunk Car Door?

Do you have a recording of Barry pounding down the steps from the shop office???

I think Lewis is still around.

The Chow Mein Chooch [1647 version] was much easier to fire than 97 and the new one should be a dream to fire, not that the VRR taxes firemen.
  by H.F.Malone

Bunk Car: burned up in arson fire, remains will be scrapped
Charlotte: retired
Goodwin: retired
Sloan(s): Both Grant and Mike deceased
CP Case: deceased
Caldor's: gone
Bickford's: is now "Pat's Kountry Kitchen" (or "kitsch-a-torium"--- lots of gingham fabric and cute cat images)

A few changes, no?

And a whole new crew these days....
  by CVRA7

Bickfords? Did you mean Perkins? (Perkins Cake and Steak?) Think that was the name back in the day...early-mid 70s.

Long time ago - halfway back to World War II. Yep, a lot of water over the dam - or should I say under the Falls River Bridge?

Mikey Sloan's gone too? Add Arnold Frease to the list, along with O O Jensen and Steve Bogen.
Still around but retired: Bill Zaiser (in Florida), Max Miller (still in "Little Siberia")
Bruce Edgerton and Paul Lewis still there keeping things rolling.
  by StLouSteve

WOW...So many dear friends all gone??? Even the bunk car is no more??? I took middle bunk on river side just north of side door and yes we would piss off the end ... but not too often, usually we had tourists peeking in to see what was inside (after all, the thing was recently lettered Pullman). Mike Sloan couldn't have been that old.

O Leary (aka Lightning Joe?)

Fireman Fred (what was that little roadster he had)?

Mueller (family had funeral business)?

Brooks (teacher at Christian or Military academy)?

Kenny (had a 67 Mustang)?

Bill Sample (worked for Amtrak at Hartford station and part of the Army Transp gang)?

At least Gibson lives on thru the caboose that bears his name.

Other names will come to me...