Railroad Forums 

• Blissville Yard

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #596323  by buxtonmach

I took a walk down to Bliss yard this past weekend. They laid 4 tracks in total and tied into the main at the west end of the yard by Dutch Kills bridge. The southern most track is stub-ended, the other three are doubled ended but run to a bumper before the Greenpoint Ave overpass/grade crossing. As it stands it allows enough room to uncouple a loco and run back around. It doesn't look like they are going to tie the east end of the yard back in to the main, but then again who knows. I'll hike back down there in a week or so and give an update.
 #596411  by RPM2Night

It is kind of strange that the yard entrance faces LIC, but it's said to be a yard for NYAR. They'd have to drag the train past the yard to get it in.
 #596589  by jayrmli

It is kind of strange that the yard entrance faces LIC, but it's said to be a yard for NYAR. They'd have to drag the train past the yard to get it in.
My guess is it would be cost prohibitive to double end the yard, and if switching on the man is involved, it is easier at the west end as there are no grade crossings to worry about.

Jay
 #611461  by The Tenth Legion

Good pictures! Let's see some more. How many tracks does the yard now have, and are there any estimates as to it's capacity? Is it double-ended, or stubbed? Thanks.
 #611488  by freightguy

The switching lead is cut in off west end C Secondary? The yards leads trail East? So many questions who is it for, LIRR/ NYA? Doesn't exactly makeup for loss of Yard A in terms of capacity. Too many S cards!
 #611493  by jayrmli

There was a customer in the area that was interested in carloads of ethanol. This may be what it is for. Maybe if they're lucky, they can get back Fink Bakers.

Jay
 #611959  by ncvab

jayrmli wrote:There was a customer in the area that was interested in carloads of ethanol. This may be what it is for. .
Jay
Getty wanted a spur to go into their facility. It was not allowed. Tank cars will be unloaded on the new Bliss tracks. Transfer pipes will be buried under the street to get the product into the refinery.
 #612027  by jayrmli

Why would'nt a spur be permitted into the Getty facility?
They probably couldn't get a permit to do it. This is the Land of No.
Didn't Fink leave LIC?
Quite possible. I haven't been down in that area in quite a while.

Jay
 #612177  by DogBert

Did a bit of homework - fink shut down a few years back. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9649C8B63

Apparently they're going to move forward with development along the hunters point area south of the new amtrak/lirr vent building that is going up there, so chances of anything industrial moving into that area ever again are slim at best.
 #616249  by DogBert

Nothing new at Blissville but I noticed LIRR's doing trackwork along the line, i believe replacing rail. Work train seems to lay up in Maspeth.

I noticed also behind Fresh Direct in LIC there's still a siding. Switch is still in but it's blocked off close to the switch... Anyone know if they ever got service? I suspect much of that siding already existed before they got there, if i recall right.