Railroad Forums 

• use of magnetic couplers

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#877316  by hh660

Good morning. I have a question for all the folks using magnetic, knuckle couplers (i.e. kadee, mchenry) on their equipment.
How many of you actually use the magnetic feature of the coupler when uncoupling cars?
I ask because while I used to use this feature, I became less and less forgiving of the appearance of the magnets between the tracks and stopped using them. I know there are under track magnets, but that seems like a bunch of work for not much benefit in my case.
The main reason for asking this question is that I'm considering cutting off the 'air hoses' on all my rolling stock. primarily for appearance sake, particularly on the engines where the opportunity of installing detailed air hoses is appealing to me.
My scale is HO, but I think the question would apply other scales as well.
Just wondering how other folks feel about this.
If you don't use magnets to uncouple your cars, what method do you use? I use my hand, but am considering a hand held magnetic device I've seen advertised.
s
 #877370  by Cadet57

I dont like the undertrack magnets, they dont look very good. I use a Rix uncoupling tool. Works very well. I can't imagine uncoupling by hand is very practical.

#877632  by FiatFan

I use the buried magnets and have converted to almost all Kadee #158 and am very happy. I have found them to be very reliable as well as being much closer to scale size which improves the overall appearance. They also seem to reduce the amount and frequency of false uncouplings I was experiencing.

They buried magnets do require a little planning and I have made some mistakes. Overall, I'm quite satisfied with them.

Tom