Railroad Forums 

• UP train service questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#305935  by Longsnowsm1

Well I recieved a call for a hiring session after applying for train service in Milpitas CA. I have not decided at this point if I am going to go forward. I have some questions regarding the work and pay for these positions.

I have read some of the threads on the long hours, odd hours etc. Does the railroad pay you by the hour or how does the pay work for these positions?

Once your called for one of these hiring sessions and if a person gets through all of the hurdles at the session how long before the training starts and a person can reasonably expect a paycheck?

What is a typical day like for a train service position? Or is there such a thing as a "normal" work day/night?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. I recently accepted a 6 mths contract for some IT work in the area and will be starting work on the 24th. Well low and behold the hiring session for the UP is the 22nd, and I am being told that if your offered a job that you will come back on the 23rd to fill out paperwork.

Can anyone give me an idea what to reasonable expect with this? I am torn between the UP possibility for a job with a real career possiblity and this IT job that may be extended or turn into a real job, but no assurances. IT work is just very unstable and is why I am considering the railroad. Thoughts???

Longsnowsm

#305949  by UPRR engineer

Didnt we go over this already? Disappointed in you.... :-D In most places you have to run your miles off, what is it? if your run is something like 360 miles (im guessing) from somewhere like Cheyenne to Green River Wyoming, you might have to be on the clock for 16hrs before you see any overtime money, but for that run you might get something like $560.00 for that trip. I think in California there some "basin pay" agreement going on, short run in miles but they hang you out to dry almost every trip, so your pay for a trip might be somewhere around $430 and you might not get any more until your on duty past 14 hours or something? Just guessing about that, but im sure im close.

Ask Slchub about trip rates with the UP, that might be going on there also, i have no clue what all that intel's, since im not an over the road hog.

I hope you dont bring that "fear" to the interview table.... If you dont think thats what you want.... dont know what else to tell you. Money and a little crap you have to put up with the RR..... lesser paying job but its pretty normal work....... "Its Up To You...."

#305950  by UPRR engineer

If you do decide to do it,,, enjoy your time as a Civilian, once you mark up your gonna be a Railroader, your cell phone will never be more then 10 feet away, tattoo your employee ID on your wrist, your life is gonna be shaken and turned upside down. I like it, its a life..... if it was too easy everyone would be doing it... its goofy like that. Some can hang, some cant.

#305955  by Longsnowsm1

Thanks UPRR... The last time we talked about this I was asking about the annual pay numbers that they posted on the web site, and if those numbers were realistic to expect. What I forgot to ask how the pay actually works(ie hourly, or by the mile, or per period on duty). You sent me a copy of a sample pay period for yourself, but I didn't get into the details to ask questions as I wasnt' sure where this was going to go.

I did submit the application, and recieved the call. In the mean time this other job opportunity has come up and things are already in motion(ie I left my job, and in the process to get my stuff packed and heading out to CA). So this is rather awkward timing and just adding to the uncertainty.

Your right, if I go to the interview I will go loaded for bear... No doubt and all in. Right now I want to know in my own mind what I am getting myself into and if this will work for me.

Longsnowsm

#305957  by UPRR engineer

My "Days Pay" in a half wont very as much as yours might, when and if you hire on. I work in a unique place on the UP. Ask slchub about what your pay might be.... he's all about and into that stuff. When i first read your post, "Are ya looking for a reason not to hire on?" glad to see theres a little hope in ya. Good luck with your new adventure, starting up fresh in a new place might help ease you into the RR life.

#305965  by Longsnowsm1

What is involved in the day or life of a train service job? I have read the job description, but it isn't overly helpful to understand what train service actually does. Is there a normal work day in train service?

I am used to having pagers and cell phones on me all the time in IT work. The difference would be the regularity that one gets called with the RR compared to IT. IT I get called when things are broken and I need to fix it, but it sounds like with the RR it is a pretty regular event to be called to work.

Longsnowsm

#305967  by Longsnowsm1

UPRR engineer wrote:My "Days Pay" in a half wont very as much as yours might, when and if you hire on. I work in a unique place on the UP. Ask slchub about what your pay might be.... he's all about and into that stuff. When i first read your post, "Are ya looking for a reason not to hire on?" glad to see theres a little hope in ya. Good luck with your new adventure, starting up fresh in a new place might help ease you into the RR life.
Thanks I will PM slchub. Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking it would be a very nice change to get on with the railroad. I have been an IT guy for a long time and the instability of the work is enough to drive most people nuts. This 6mth contract IT thing has me concerned so that is why I am taking this RR thing very seriously. Thanks again.

Longsnowsm

#305974  by UPRR engineer

The way they have "learned" me over the years, especially when i first hired on while working the "HORROR BOARD" AKA the brakemans extra board. If you not at work, or just tied up and sleeping, expect to back really soon. Without being there in California, id expect you to work alot, theres not too many places on the UP where guys are bragging about not working alot, your gonna work... and your gonna LIKE IT!! Thats part of the life style change, on the other hand maybe you can hold a yard job?? who knows??

Normal day, take your call, hour and a half to get there, or at least give it a good try, sit on your butt and talk for about 5, 10 mins in the depot, find out what train your gonna be on, pull up your paperwork, cut it up for you and your hoghead, talk about whats in your paperwork (track work and what not), sit there for an hour, maybe two complaining with the rest of the slime, slowly leave the depot when your train shows up, stand there talking to the inbound crew about the power and train "everything is good... yes yes", clime on the locomotive, make your spred, adjust the chair and what not, ice up the fridge, put your feet up and enjoy the ride, your gonna have to write down the signals, talk to the dispatcher about any problems, talk to the track foreman if they are working on your run, get to your away from home terminal and do the same thing the inbound did to you when you took over the train. Sometimes you might have to walk your train, sometimes setout a B/O car or two, pick up a car or two, tie a few hand brakes, kick off a few hand brakes, make a setout / pick up. Its easy work, like i say, "If monkeys could talk, they would be doing this work". It takes some time and some skill to be really good at RRing, but it aint hard.

#306116  by powerpro69

Thanks I will PM slchub. Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking it would be a very nice change to get on with the railroad. I have been an IT guy for a long time and the instability of the work is enough to drive most people nuts.
I just passed the Conductors final, honestly, if I'd known what I know now, 6 months ago, I'd have gone and drove a truck, having said that, I'm still here..lots of mixed feelings, but the money and the benifits are still luring me, Good Luck

#306258  by Longsnowsm1

Powerpro69,

Thanks for the feedback. I have been hearing this a lot since I started asking questions. I don't understand why the RR with all the problems they are having getting people why they treat people the way they do. I can understand running off the riff raff, but it sounds to me like they are going way beyond what anyone would expect to be within the norm. I would think that any organization with the challenges that the RR has would be evolving and adapting to the changing employment environment. That doesn't appear to be in either the union or the carriers vocabulary from what I am seeing so far. That being said some folks here seem to say this isn't their daddy's RR, but I am not sure if that is a good thing from what I have read so far.

I have made a decision on what I am going to do. I made a commitment on another job for 6 mths and I am going to follow through and honor what I said I would do. I will rethink where things are at as I get closer to the end of this work contract. At this point I came here with other options already in the works in case I couldn't find work in the IT world, and I think I will continue looking at those other options instead of the RR. You all are a tough bunch to swallow so much cr*p.

I value everyones feedback and shooting straight with me. Thanks again.

Longsnowsm
 #308342  by rhallanger

The below link to PDF is excellent. Explains the trip rates, progression of pay, probation, etc. Especially useful for Northern California UP hires (Roseville Hub). This would be nice if every UTU Local made something like this.

http://www.utu492.org/new%20Hire%20Survival%20Kit.pdf
Longsnowsm1 wrote:Well I recieved a call for a hiring session after applying for train service in Milpitas CA. I have not decided at this point if I am going to go forward. I have some questions regarding the work and pay for these positions.

I have read some of the threads on the long hours, odd hours etc. Does the railroad pay you by the hour or how does the pay work for these positions?

Once your called for one of these hiring sessions and if a person gets through all of the hurdles at the session how long before the training starts and a person can reasonably expect a paycheck?

What is a typical day like for a train service position? Or is there such a thing as a "normal" work day/night?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. I recently accepted a 6 mths contract for some IT work in the area and will be starting work on the 24th. Well low and behold the hiring session for the UP is the 22nd, and I am being told that if your offered a job that you will come back on the 23rd to fill out paperwork.

Can anyone give me an idea what to reasonable expect with this? I am torn between the UP possibility for a job with a real career possiblity and this IT job that may be extended or turn into a real job, but no assurances. IT work is just very unstable and is why I am considering the railroad. Thoughts???

Longsnowsm

#308357  by slchub

very good list of info. Thanks!

#308514  by blewaresicks

I don't know how it will be where you are, But when I was in training I usually brought home $1500 after taxes. On the road here we get paid trip rate, and anything after 8 hours is OT