Railroad Forums 

• Unit Coal Trains over the L&HR?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#531219  by JJMDiMunno

Hey guys,
I've read in one of these L&HR books I've got about unit coal trains that supposidly operated over the L&HR at one time. I'm looking for some detail on these unit trains, such as:

1. Who's unit trains were they? PRR, New Haven, Erie, etc?

2. Where did they run between? Were they over the entire distance of the L&HR, between Belvidere and Maybrook?

3. Who's power did they use while moving over the LHR? Did they retain their origin railroad power for the trip, or switch L&HR power?

4. What kind of power would these have rated at the time? Number of units, model of units, etc.

5. How many cars in approximation were these unit trains that traversed the L&HR?

Thanks in advance guys...the reason for the questions is that I'm (again) trying to develop some real-world activities for the new L&HR MSTS route, version 3...accurate information will help me be sure that I create accurate activities.

Mike DiMunno

#532376  by CAR_FLOATER

Well Mike, as per the Boyd-Antz book, the Reading unit trains were bound for Bridgeport CT via the NH. I am assuming that the Reading power stayed on the train from Allentown all the way to Maybrook, heck maybe all the way to Bridgeport (that would be cool!)
Unfortunately I don't have anymore info than that, but I'm sure other can give more details. I will ask around for you too.

CF

#532386  by JJMDiMunno

CAR_FLOATER wrote:Well Mike, as per the Boyd-Antz book, the Reading unit trains were bound for Bridgeport CT via the NH. I am assuming that the Reading power stayed on the train from Allentown all the way to Maybrook, heck maybe all the way to Bridgeport (that would be cool!)
Unfortunately I don't have anymore info than that, but I'm sure other can give more details. I will ask around for you too.

CF
Hey,
Yeah, that photo I saw...I wasn't sure if they cut the power off somewhere and dropped the cars, or what...maybe Oxford siding, I don't know. Also, any idea if the empties returned the same way, via the L&HR?

I guess they were just Reading unit coal trains, right? Anyone else have an idea?

Mike DiMunno
 #559386  by philipmartin

I worked G from '60 to '64 and in '72 and saw a few eastbound coal trains, at least one of them with an engineer named Gilloughly. Coal trains didn't observe the speed limit at G. They had an uphill grade from G for several miles. They got the standard four Alco road switchers, RS3s I guess the are called, with PRR and CNJ stripes. L&H trains also sometimes got CNJ power and crews, according to the mileage they ran between Easton and Allentown. CNJ engineers also worked as conductors on occasion. I don't remember Reading power on the coal trains. Being a good rail fan I would have noticed Reading power, or any other foreign road's power on their trains, plus having to put the other road's initials and lead engine number in their orders.
As for L&H trains originating at Belvidere, it no longer happened by the time I got there. The interchange track on the south side of G tower was gone.
They had atomic trains before I got there. They didn't want trains like that going near New York City; so they routed them over the L&H.
I can't give you the car count on coal trains, but other trains were limited to 135 cars.
Philip Martin
 #559394  by rfalcone

Did you say "atomic" trains?

Can you tell us more about this please.

Rich
 #559567  by CAR_FLOATER

rfalcone wrote:Did you say "atomic" trains?

Can you tell us more about this please.

Rich

Yes, Atomic...........The A.E.C. used to move freight over the L&H, to the NH for delivery to Groton Ct....And we all know what's in Groton, right?

A friend has reports to the L&H from the A.E.C. basically "slapping their hand" for "breaking the speed limit" with these trains, because God forbid they derailed due to a speed penalty!

CF
 #559745  by rfalcone

Much to my chagrin I had no idea the L&H ran atomic stuff over the rails. I have read just as much about our friendly, little railroad as anyone else on these boards and never saw anything like this.

As far as Groton and what goes on there, I had to Google it. Now I know what that was all about.

Very interesting....
 #756945  by philipmartin

I appreciate the information about the Atomic trains. I didn't know much more about them than that they existed. I wonder if the speedy engineer was Moe Dunn, by any chance?