Railroad Forums 

• Trip to Western Pennsylvania

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#809959  by kevikens

I am wondering if some people familiar with Wesern Pa. can help me. I want to railfan that area but know virtually nothing about that part of the state. I am looking for spots where I can photograph trains as part of industry, especially what is left of the steel industry. I am particularly interested in any short lines or regionals as I get plenty of CSX and NS here around Philly. I can venture into Eastern Ohio to get some good photos if necessary. Thanks for any help you can give me.
 #810062  by EMTRailfan

Check into:
Buffalo&Pittsburgh
Western New York and Pennsylvania
Bessemer
Allegheny Valley
Union RR

The only directly "steel" RR of this list would be the Union. I have never fanned it or the AVR, but can help with the others. I think shooting the steel mills on the Union is rather limited, and you may get chased off. I am pretty familiar with the B&P, and the Oil City Branch of the WNYP. The Bessemer is pretty much hit or miss. Let me know what you might be interested in, and I will give you more info if I have it.
 #810068  by kevikens

Thanks, EMT. Actually any of that looks good. I am not familiar with any of those shortlines or regionals. I will be just railfanning, no other business or family so I can go to whatever spots you recommend. I am not limited to some particular location. That thumbnail photo you have is great. Is that from one of those areas you are taliking about ? Any location at any time is ok for me. I can use the Bing maps to get myself around if I just know that that town or mill is a good one. Thanks again.
 #810283  by kevikens

EMT, I just looked at your pictures and I can see a number of interesting places. The picture I liked best was the train crossing a wooden trerstle in Chicora, Pa. I would like see that train on that trestle myself. I found Chicora on a map but `I have no idea what time a train might come by. Is there any kind of schedule that train follows ? Also I think I will try for Oil City. That looks pretty good. Any particular time when I might see some activity ? Thanks.
 #810703  by EMTRailfan

kevikens wrote:EMT, I just looked at your pictures and I can see a number of interesting places. The picture I liked best was the train crossing a wooden trerstle in Chicora, Pa. I would like see that train on that trestle myself. I found Chicora on a map but `I have no idea what time a train might come by. Is there any kind of schedule that train follows ? Also I think I will try for Oil City. That looks pretty good. Any particular time when I might see some activity ? Thanks.
BPRR

The Chicora/Petrolia train (BPRR BT-3) is normally a Monday-Friday job. I haven't chased it in over a year (need to do that), but the call time then was 0900. I can hear the DS talking to them from home, and I would guess that 0900 is still the case. They don't usually leave Butler until 1000 at the earliest. What I usually do is head to New Castle before daybreak and chase the BPRR BTNC (my avatar/Ellwood Tunnel) back to Butler. This is an overnighter, returning in the early-mid morning. I then hang around and chase the BT-3. It makes a nice (long and worthwile) day.

The WNYP-

They just changed the schedule for this job (ME-1) It goes from Meadville, PA to Falconer, NY and back on M-W-F. It goes down the Oil City Branch T-R, and sometimes Sunday. The last call time that I heard was 0600. If you would like a chase partner, let me know, and hopefully we can work something out.
 #811263  by Mike Stellpflug

For steel mill stuff, head down to Duquesne on Rt. 837. Pull in at the 7-11 store and shoot the USS Braddock steel mill and the RR's down below. A step ladder helps to get high enough. I usually just sit on top of a step ladder and get all of the action down on CSX, NS, and the Union.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=304228