Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#112004  by quadrock

I have a question about transferring to the Miami Metro from Tri-Rail. On the SFRTA site, it says that one way, round trip, 12-trip, and monthly tickets from Tri-Rail with "Metrorail" as a destination are free. My question is how did I miss the free ride? When I went up into the station, I had to pass the fare gates and insert $1.25. Is there a special aisle/faregate for Tri-Rail ticketholders?

Thanks in advance.

#112211  by Noel Weaver

Southbound from Tri-Rail to Metro-Rail.
There is almost always a guard there and if you show him your valid Tri-
Rail ticket, he will wave you through. If the guard is not there, your Tri-
Rail ticket is inserted into the turnstile with the magnetic strip down and
the Tri-Rail ticket is returned to you and the turnstile is released.
Of course, from Fort Lauderdale I always buy a round trip ticket and it
has always worked for me. The same round trip Tri-Rail ticket entitles me
to use any Metro-Rail station to get back up to Tri-Rail.
Basically nothing to it.
Noel Weaver

#112357  by quadrock

Ok..thanks for the reply. Now I'll know for the future. There was a guard there, but I didn't even know that transfers were free...guess I should have read the Tri-Rail booklet I picked up. Actually I wasted even more on Metrorail, since I inserted 2 dollar coins, thinking that it would give me change in the "coin return" bin, but I guess that's for a coin getting stuck and the turnstile doesn't generate change. So basically all I ended up doing is giving some future rider a .50 ride. :wink:

#112588  by Noel Weaver

quadrock wrote:Ok..thanks for the reply. Now I'll know for the future. There was a guard there, but I didn't even know that transfers were free...guess I should have read the Tri-Rail booklet I picked up. Actually I wasted even more on Metrorail, since I inserted 2 dollar coins, thinking that it would give me change in the "coin return" bin, but I guess that's for a coin getting stuck and the turnstile doesn't generate change. So basically all I ended up doing is giving some future rider a .50 ride. :wink:
On Tri-Rail, it is always cheaper to buy a round trip ticket, that same
ticket will get you your round trip on Metro-Rail.
Noel Weaver

#112623  by quadrock

OK. Thanks a lot for your info, I appreciate it. Now I'll know next time I'm down in South Florida and going to Miami.