• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

S/B came down today with three CN units including two cowl body units leading two CSX's and three drop-center flats with transformers or some other such thing on the head end. So there's a good chance Saturday will see a northbound with all CN power going up in nice weather.
  by flannmann

S/B came down today with three CN units including two cowl body units leading two CSX's and three drop-center flats with transformers or some other such thing on the head end. So there's a good chance Saturday will see a northbound with all CN power going up in nice weather.
I wouldn't expect to see anything moving today, early this morning a Megabus crashed into the bridge over the parkway in Liverpool. Here is a link to the article.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... y_mor.html
  by scharnhorst

they should just close the damed Parkway end of story to many blined people if you can't see all the lights and signs you should not be allowed to have a drivers licence!
  by roadster

Yeah, that's the answer, close every road that has had an accident on it due to driver failure. You'd have every road in the US closed. Let's be realistic. I'm for reduced speed limit, heavier enforcement, re-engineer the entrance ramps to discourage any truck traffic, even PVC warning gates at the same height as the bridge about 1000 ft short of bridge to alert distracted,or unalert drivers. Seen these on many low clearance locations. nothing like a 1 inch PVC pipe being shattered across your vehicle to snap U awake. Road is less than 2 feet above area water level, lowering not possible and would cause severe flooding issues. ok, enough on that issue. Bridge was inspected and rail traffic moving normally.
  by lvrr325

Ever seen that bridge in person? I think you'd have to hit it with another train to hurt it. The fiberglass and alumimum bus superstructure isn't going to do much. Roadster might have to watch more for ghosts than anything else now that five people have died in that stretch of road just this summer alone.

I agree they need something set at the height of the bridge at both ends of the road for trucks to hit first, though.

In any case, the CN power did go up, just not until about 4:00 in the afternoon on Saturday. It did get turned somewhere along the way, the same leader going up as coming down.

Another CN cowl unit is leading a N/B today, it went north about 11:30 give or take. 5524 I believe.
  by KC2CNY

At 10:45 AM I saw a CSX engine with (what looked like) two passenger trains; heading northbound. Was this CSX OCS or can someone confirm what it was. Saw it at the SR-49 crossing in Central Square.
  by lvrr325

CSX's own track geometry train is two passenger cars in CSX business train colors. Usually has an F40PH but gets another unit leading that for whatever reason.
  by roadster

it's CSX's telemetry cars, again testing the trackage. Word is they still want to raise the entire length back to 40 mph. I gave up trying to figureout what CSX is doing any more. Consitancy is not their strong point.
  by lvrr325

That's CSX, going nowhere at 40 MPH.

By the way, about 11:30 a northbound went up with two CN cowls for power. You guys on the north end should still be able to catch it, nice day for some pictures.
  by roadster

CSX Mgt is still insisting that the CN jobs are being discontinued in October. On the other hand, CSX had recently posted several conductor vacancies for Massena about 2 weeks ago. Anyway, here's hoping that those plans for discontinuance of service will be altered.
  by Noel Weaver

[quote="roadster I gave up trying to figureout what CSX is doing any more. Consitancy is not their strong point.[/quote]

Just wondering, does CSX have any strong points?????
Noel Weave
  by roadster

Well, they're still keeping me employeed. That's a strong point for me.
  by roadster

I wasn't able to post this earlier, but yesterday I brought the telemetry train W001 came down from Massena to tie up at Woodard for the night. Today a crew shoved it to Oswego on the Fulton sub testing S Bd, the it was suppose to head up the Fairgrounds and B'ville Sub.s testing all the way to Fulton. After which it is suppose to shove back to CP 293 and head West to Buffalo.
  by Bigt

Today's edtion of the COURIER-OBSERVER newspaper has an article telling how the Massena Industrial
Development Agency has secured a federal loan for 1 million dollars to build a spur into the Massena
Industrial Park. Loan was applied for in 2008.This would serve the Curran Energy Products company
(wood pellets) plus other current and potential customers. This industrial park is adjacent to the
Massena yard. It also states that Development Agency head is looking forward to working with CSX
in getting the necessary turnout installed. The article also states that the neighboring Massena
Terminal Railroad, which serves the ALCOA Massena Operations, is the recipient of a hefty grant
to upgrade / "beef-up" their 3 mile line from their yard / enginehouse to the plant. I have been told
by an individual who works for ALCOA, that because of on-going problems / issues with commercial
truck shipments of their finished aluminum product, that the company is re-examining their use of
rail shipments. When I worked there I recall that we shipped a lot by rail...especially bar stock. Some
of the bar stock was huge....two bars...sometimes one bar....would completely fill a 65 foot mill gon
and max out the weight loading. Could not / cannot move that stuff by truck! Maybe the St. Law.
Sub will see some increased local traffic.
  by roadster

CSX has told Union reps, they intend to run one pool job vs. 3 pool jobs today. Example: 1 crew, Monday train North to Massena, Same crew, Tuesday train South to Dewitt, and so forth. They feel one train a day will handle any current and prospective traffic. Let's hope traffic levels increase.