Railroad Forums 

• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1480788  by hojack

Thanks for that information. I had no idea they had a wye. My grandfather who worked for the Central said something about wyeing troop trains in the fifties, but I never knew where.
He said that some troop trains would come up via Utica, Rome, Richland and return via Carthage, Lowville, Utica. Why that was operated in that manner is lost to the sands of history.
 #1480791  by tree68

It's long been my belief, albeit just my guess, that the passenger station for Pine Camp was actually on the line (former U&BR/RW&O) between Philly and Carthage, as opposed to around the current main cantonment. The current main cantonment wasn't built until just before WWII (ie, the old "WWII buildings"). Unfortunately, the topo maps cut off that area, so they are of no help there.

Assisting in that belief is an entry on the topo maps for that area between 1911 and 1947 which show a point labelled "Pine Camp" with a siding, a little north of the current "REGIS", or the point where the St Regis sidings came off the line.

As an aside, some track charts may show the current "west" yard as the "coal" yard, as there was a ramp (still there in the late 1970's) to a coal dump next to the current facility engineers area. There was (and may still be) a scale there, as well, as the area was used to store coal long after the rails were lifted from the ramp.
 #1480794  by joha107

Usually what they do is pull the train forward then back the entire train around the wye into the unloading area. The KCS power brought in either the 3rd or 4th military train, there had already been a couple military trains brought in earlier this week, so those were the empties that the KCS power brought back south, believe there are only supposed to be 4 military trains this go around. Normal procedure is to bring the train to Massey, park it, then B778 handles bringing the trains between Massey and Drum and handles all switching on base, sometimes they call an extra B978 crew if needed, I think the SW9 that was there went away when the power plant shut down.
 #1480797  by tree68

joha107 wrote:I think the SW9 that was there went away when the power plant shut down.
Heard from someone who works for PW that it's still there.
 #1480800  by ANRP2

I believe these trains are National Guard convoys to Camp Grayling, MI for Northern Strike 2018 exercise. NHARNG 197th Field Artillery Brigade equipment departed on 70 flats on /around 19 July. Attached is the story as reported in Atlantic Northeast Rails & Ports e-bulletin 18#07(m).
Attachments:
ANRP 18#07(m)
(863.47 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
 #1480810  by tree68

ANRP2 wrote:I believe these trains are National Guard convoys to Camp Grayling, MI for Northern Strike 2018 exercise. NHARNG 197th Field Artillery Brigade equipment departed on 70 flats on /around 19 July. Attached is the story as reported in Atlantic Northeast Rails & Ports e-bulletin 18#07(m).
Military trains on the St Lawrence Sub will be in and out of Fort Drum. The NH trains won't be on that line unless they take a detour through Canada.
 #1485497  by tree68

There's a grinder at work on the line tonight - currently in the Antwerp area.

A citizen thought they were in trouble as they kept going back and forth and things were a little "smokey." 9-1-1 was called, and after dispatch got in touch with CSX, the fire department was cancelled.