• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Leo_Ames

I wasn't aware that Canadian National ever operated their own trains here. I thought it was just run through power.

I saw a set leading a train in recent weeks but it's far more rare than it was a few years ago when CN power dominated. Was nice while it lasted though with cowls, WC SD45's, and other interesting power.
  by charlie6017

I have to agree with Leo.......but if I remember right, they are originated with CN symbols but once
on CSX property, they naturally become CSX trains (i.e. Q620/621). Others here will know the CN symbol.

BTW, are they still running the 620 and 621?

Thanks,
Charlie
  by lvrr325

I haven't seen a CN unit in a while, but I don't stop and look at every train that goes by. Most of what I do see usually has two six-axle CSX units of some stripe on it, except the locals out of Woodard and Fulton.
  by tree68

charlie6017 wrote:I have to agree with Leo.......but if I remember right, they are originated with CN symbols but once
on CSX property, they naturally become CSX trains (i.e. Q620/621). Others here will know the CN symbol.

BTW, are they still running the 620 and 621?

Thanks,
Charlie
Last I knew they were - and that's based on hearing an EC1 being given within the past few weeks.
  by joha107

The CN symbols are CN 326 (Q621) and CN 327 (Q620), the CN crews currently run the trains between Huntingdon, QC and Montreal, several years ago the CN crews would run the trains all the way into Massena. Which crew is on the train determines whether it is considered a CN train or a CSX train, not when it enters CSX rails, when it has a CN crew it is CN 327, when they hand it off to the CSX crew in Huntingdon it runs under a CSX symbol, etc. CN power is just run through, though it's rare to see it now, normally power is all CSX for Q620/Q621 now. No change in traffic patterns as of late, Q152 and Q153 are still running in the morning, Q153 usually rolls through Watertown at 0600 and meets Q152 at Watertown or Pulaski. Q621 departs DeWitt midday to early afternoon, Q620 departs Norwood/Massena sometime after 2100ish.
  by kaseytrainfan26

i havent seen any cn power in almost a year maybe more now, the last several times i have railfanned norwood junction, i see the usual NYOG crew, and the csx trains almost always seem to have 6 axle GE power, rarely do i even see csx emds let alone cn power.
  by Bigt

This brings a good question......why are we seeing mostly GE units up here? A friend of mine, who
worked in engine service up here (now retired), told me that after the CSX takeover from Conrail, that
all they got up here was "CSX junk".....that CSX took all the good Conrail locos and sent them down
South. Sour grapes? Could it be that this area is the "dumping ground" for older, tired units?
  by Leo_Ames

I imagine GE's dominate because GE's dominate their roster for their fleet of modern heavy haul locomotives. It's the same reason you typically see EMD power on locals. It's because that's what they mostly have so that's what you will mostly see. Beyond the SD70MAC that they bought in decent numbers (And which they recently sold several of), they've all but ignored EMD.

Evolution series GE's, both AC & DC, are regular visitors to this line. So they're not making do with junk that CSX doesn't see fit to use on their more important corridors. It's just standard modern CSX power like you see running around the rest of the system. And that means one GE widecab after another from Dash 8's to today's premier power on CSX with their hundreds of Evolution series GE's.
  by lvrr325

75% or better of what I see go by are late model widecab GEs with newer EMDs occasionally mixed in.

Even less frequently do older EMDs turn up; SD60s, and SD40-2's. As far as I know, standard cab GE's are off the roster entirely.

The locals, of course, still see GP38s/GP40s and occasionally slug sets.
  by Leo_Ames

They still have something like 150 standard cab C40-8's as best as I can tell on their roster to go with their ~50 B40-8's although I suspect a good chunk of both fleets are still in storage.

Their standard cab 6 axle EMD's and their standard cab GE's occasionally show up here but very rarely lead and are usually the last unit in a consist. And much of what 6 axle EMD standard cab power I do notice tends to be lease units not even in CSX colors.

Locals out of Massena with 4 axle EMD's (And oftentimes these days a slug converted from a Geep) and the occasional maintenance train like rail trains account for probably over 90% of the standard cab locomotives I've seen in recent years up here.
  by Bigt

Okay, you have talked about the locals running with Geep 38's and 40's, sometimes with a slug made from
a Geep. Are we talking about a slug that still has a cab, used just for control, or, one of the "torpedo style"
slugs - no cab - that were made famous on other roads? I've seen the local to Canton running with two engines,
both with cabs.....is one of them a slug?