• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Bigt

Thanks Roadster! As for the two posts about the containers on St. Law. Sub......has this
venture been a success or a bust? Or, is it too soon to tell?
  by BillM

The switch for the Natural Dam spur was removed last week. The line crosses route 11 next to the bowling alley in Gouverneur. The bridge over the river was taken out of service a few years ago and I heard rumors that it was to be repaired but that hasn't happened. The paper mill has rail service at a warehouse in the village. Material is trucked a few miles to the mill.
Bill
  by Leo_Ames

A mixed freight went South through Potsdam tonight with what I assume is a AC6000CW (It looked like a GE in the darkness and carried a name that said "Spirit of..." with it gone too quickly to catch the last word) and a standard cab C40-8 trailing.
  by roadster

We were told at the annual training class in Feb., that these 2 Q152/153 for the past year has mostly been a testing for Maersk. The empty flats were to simulate CSX handling of container traffic and what issues may arise. Maersk is supposedly very happy with the results, and as the facility in Canada gets completed over the next year, the container trains are expected to grow in size and eventually multiply. please note, I'm just the messenger.
  by Matt Langworthy

RussNelson wrote:Multiply? You mean if you tie down two container trains on adjacent tracks, in the morning there are little baby container trains?
Maybe they're hauling Volkswagen Rabbits? lol
  by tree68

RussNelson wrote:Multiply? You mean if you tie down two container trains on adjacent tracks, in the morning there are little baby container trains?
There's a reason those short trailers are called "pups..."
  by roadster

There could be another meaning to CSX's moto, "How tomorrow moves".
  by Leo_Ames

Was trying to find something from the air and noticed this bridge near Philadelphia.

http://binged.it/11V9Wew

Almost looks like it was collapsed when that picture was taken. Optical illusion of some sort? Or perhaps they screwed up splicing the photos up?

Edit: Noticed it with some other photos as well. Wonder what about their pictures causes that.
  by BillM

I took a closer look at the Natural Dam switch this morning and the frog is out but the rest of the switch is still in place. Just wanted to correct my earlier post.
Bill
  by Bigt

I read this morning in steelguru.com that ALCOA is predicting a huge increase in sales of aluminum sheet for
the auto industry by the year 2015.....from the current 160 million tons to over 500 million tons. This is because
of the governments toughening environmental standards for fuel economy and emmission standards. The local
Massena Works does not make sheet per se, but, they certainly make the raw aluminum and other finished product
that eventually becomes sheet material at their other plants. This could certainly help the local plant, plus,
Massena Terminal and CSX. I have read before, and from past experience, that this type of aluminum product,used
in auto and aircraft manufacture, must be kept clean and dry. Like steel coil, I can see this possibly moving in covered coil cars? I do not think truck transportation can ensure this type of protection. Also, I would think there would be consideration of the
feasibiltiy of moving the size and weight of such product by truck.
  by RussNelson

Leo_Ames wrote:Was trying to find something from the air and noticed this bridge near Philadelphia.

http://binged.it/11V9Wew

Almost looks like it was collapsed when that picture was taken. Optical illusion of some sort? Or perhaps they screwed up splicing the photos up?

Edit: Noticed it with some other photos as well. Wonder what about their pictures causes that.
Because the photos are taken at an oblique angle, they need to be corrected for elevation. They get their elevation from a project that flew a LIDAR (infrared laser ranging) on the Space Shuttle. They have data all over the world, but it's only at about 50' intervals. A stream like this that's onlly 20' wide can get samples, while the railroad does not. Or vice-versa. Either way, one gets corrected and the other does not, because of the height difference as the bridge crosses the stream.