Railroad Forums 

• Train from ATL to New Orleans normally on time?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1485717  by ajl1239

I was thinking of trying to take the train from Atlanta to New Orleans in a couple weeks, but I don't want to do it if the train is going to be hours late. Is this train normally on time departing Atlanta for New Orleans in the morning? Thanks!
 #1485721  by ChesterValley

Here's a link to the lateness over the past year: https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archi ... 2&smooth=0

Amtrak has historically given the operator, Norfolk Southern, an F on its report card with an OTP of 67%. https://media.amtrak.com/wp-content/upl ... 5-31-1.pdf A shame too for this once proud train.
 #1485724  by Bob Roberts

In my experience you should consider yourself fortunate if the train is less than two hours late into New Orleans.

In terms of scenery, its mostly Southern pine forest. It has its charms but don't expect anything particularly noteworthy other than the Atlanta skyline and some nice views of decaying steel mills in Birmingham (which I really like). The ride over Lake Ponchatrain is also nice, but it will crtainly be dark on the Southbound trip.
 #1485746  by Gilbert B Norman

Spirit; isn't that the airline where it's "pay for potty"?

Well, it's just that at the several Hbf's I've had occasion to be in while in Austria - €,50.

Otherwise, considering Crescent's timekeeping of late and the "if you've seen one Pine Tree, you've seen 'em all", scenery, I don't think Amtrak is worthy of your business.

However, as I recall, there is one "notable feat" of railroad engineering between Slidell and NO - the longest curve in the US, which goes around Lake Ponchartrain (source: AAR "Quiz: American Railroads"). Obviously, the curve is very slight.
 #1485764  by slchub

ajl1239 wrote:Thanks. I might just pass on this. Flying Spirit is cheaper anyway...
Surely you can do better than Spirit. I'm sure if you look at Southwest and Delta you'll find comparable fares with much better results in passenger comfort and pocket book savings. Don't just look at the fare. You have to look at the junk add on fees after the fare is quoted to you.
 #1485824  by lordsigma12345

I enjoyed my recent trip on the Crescent, although my recent roundtrip was on the northern half - New York - Atlanta. I always enjoy the experience of taking the train but I will also go to great lengths to avoid flying as I have a fear of flying and detest the modern experience of being stuffed in like sardines on airlines. If on time performance is a show stopper than Atlanta to New Orleans is probably not the train ride for you.
 #1485827  by 2-C+C-2

The delays at Howells (just west of Atlanta station where NS crosses CSX is a relatively minor factor in the Crescent's history of delays.
The majority arise between Meridian, MS and Austell, GA due to several factors:
1. The KCS Meridian Speedway joins at Meridian and the additional traffic, combined with inadequate capacity between there and Tuscaloosa regularly add a minimum of one hour of delay to both the 19/20 (and often even more).
2. The Birmingham area is congested and both CSX and NS (the 19/20 use both railroads as they snake through the area) back ups at their yards slow all traffic through the area (this has been improving lately).
3. The East End District Birmingham-Austell is a curvy single track mainline just packed with traffic. NS has made capacity enhancements on the Austell end meant primarily to get traffic on to and off of the Atlanta Terminal district quickly, but this doesn't help much for the rest of the subdivision.
4. NS' decision to close the old CofG from Birmingham to Columbus to all but local traffic (since reversed) drove more traffic through the Atlanta terminal district and I'm not sure they've fully thought out how best to use this alternative,
5. NS' computerized dispatching overlord (not sure of the system's name) has never really grasped how to work in Amtrak to building its 'system plan' that it feeds to the actual dispatcher for implementation.