Railroad Forums 

• Track Maintenance - What can I expect?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#872929  by jldblacksmith

Greetings,

I applied this week for a job as a track maintenance laborer at BNSF. I'm curious as to what the job is _really_ like - what can I expect and what will be expected of me if I'm fortunate enough to get the position. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
John

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein
 #879652  by jldblacksmith

Thanks for the link, very good information. I was fortunate enough to get an interview next week! Excited, nervous, etc. I did have a few other questions. Do we get much in the way of overtime? (to me, that's a good thing ;)). And do we get a per diem to cover lodging, travel, and other expenses when on the road? Thank you all, by the way, for the good advice I've read on this forum - it has been very helpful to myself and many others.
John
 #880458  by gjk1716

From my experience, the Track Maintenance crews make less OT than the Track Production/Construction guys. You may want to look into one of those crews when something opens.

G
 #884172  by dus10

i worked on a stationary job for CSX last year and made about 500 hrs OT in those 8 months.... spent 4 months on a service lane floating job and only got about 65 in those 4 months... i know nothing about any other rr than CSX but from what ive experienced the stationary jobs have alot more OT, you're the ones that are local, that subdivision is yours, rail breaks its yours, train derails, its yours, switches freeze up, its yours where as construction teams work their shift, maybe some OT in the evenings finishing up their day but while they are at the hotel and the days they are off they are not subject to call out. However this is all just my experience working track for CSX... could be totally different on other class 1 rr's
 #884834  by dirtydave

Hey dus10, finally got on, starting on T7 in Valdosta, ga on Jan 3 for rules class, are you going on the road again or gonna hold down the EK for a while? My probation is up on Jan 28, hopefully I can find a spot somewhere on the EK or the CC. Take care.
 #886284  by jlf331

I'm thinking about applying for a track maintenance job in Montana, and I am a little curious about the seniority regions and travel. I'm wondering if I would be able to live in Cheyenne, WY and commute to the job location when I'm scheduled to work?
 #889694  by Walter Sobchak

jldblacksmith wrote:Greetings,

I applied this week for a job as a track maintenance laborer at BNSF. I'm curious as to what the job is _really_ like - what can I expect and what will be expected of me if I'm fortunate enough to get the position. Thoughts anyone?
I'm not sure how the freights work compared to commuter lines, but be prepared for a lot of ball-busting and cigarettes. And don't expect to be good at the labor right away, as it takes 6 months to a year to become really good at spiking or hitting on/off pandrol or speed clips. Just give it time and find your stride.

I always gravitated toward the tie gang (production crew) rather than maintenance, as I got bored there, but loved being a trackman nonetheless. You'll have a blast.