Railroad Forums 

• Toyota ad on side of Amtrak locomotive

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#68891  by locomotiveguy

I said it was hand painted cause you can see the brush strokes

#68907  by Robert Paniagua

its a good idea, Amtrak can make a few extra bucks

I know, just like the ads rolling in our MBTA Red line tunnels.

Maybe Amtrak SHOULD start doing ads in most of their locomotives as well, and boost revenue off of that.

#68911  by Engineer

30th Street station in Philly is abosolutely loaded with Nissan ads for their new Pathfinder. Theres even a HUGE one hanging in the main waiting room.

#69005  by AmtrakFan

I would be pleased to see more Ads on the Trains especially on the Baggage Car will allow Amtrak operate another day.

AmtrakFan

#69070  by byte

Is it me, or is putting automobile advertisements on the sides of trains kind of defeating the purpose? If more people used Amtrak rather than their cars, then Amtrak would have more money and wouldn't need to slap ads on the sides of their locomotives. Legally, they probably can't back out of the deal when they find out who purchases the advertised space, such as a car manufacturer, and it'll bring the green in but it's not helping Amtrak's cause in any way.

I'll also say that I don't think advertising belongs on any Amtrak train at all, on the inside or the outside. I don't mind it on rapid transit operations, because those railcars are typically utilitarian in design and adding advertising really isn't making it any uglier, seeing as how most of them are built for functionality and not good looks. Plus they travel through urban environments where many people see them - advertising on them has been there forever because it's a good idea. But to see ads on a long-distance or even inter-city train really makes Amtrak look like a joke to people who see the train. I mean, can you imagine a Burlington Zephyr with an ad-wrapped E5, or the old Super Chief running with locomotives advertising something completely unrelated? Compared to pre-1971 passenger trains, many can agree that Amtrak's operations afterwards just didn't have the dignity of the prior operators. Yes, dignity doesn't pay the bills, but if your operation looks respectable, people will notice and give it a chance.

Edit: Another thing I'd like to mention is that the money they get from this ad-wrapping deal isn't money that's going to get them out of their hole. It'll always be there but they'll have to wrap more and more locomotives, and then possibly the actual cars themselves. So they'll be getting money, but the operation will grow dependent on it and we may never see a train without a rolling billboard or two in the consist. So there would be money but the operation would be tackier than ever before.

#69147  by RMadisonWI

I echo byte's concern regarding ads making the operation look tacky, but I really don't think it's going to hurt Amtrak by advertising an automobile.

Lots of people who ride the train already have a car of some sort. Many don't, but often it's because of a lack of financial means, or lack of driving ability. True, there are some (such as myself) who could own a vehicle, but choose not to, but I don't think one ad on the side of a locomotive is really going to change their mind, especially if all the advertising in newspapers, magazines, other billboards, and on the telescreen weren't effective.

It *might* sway someone thinking of buying a new vehicle towards that particular brand, but I don't think Amtrak will lose any ticket revenue.

That said, I'd rather Amtrak put its own advertising on its cars/locomotives. They have a few baggage cars painted up in Vermonter and Adirondack schemes, even though the cars are just as likely to be found traveling the Coast Starlight as anything else (and one or both of those trains may not even offer checked baggage anymore).

A good route map, 1-800-USA-RAIL, and www.amtrak.com on the side of an engine or baggage car could possibly get someone investigating into the possibility of taking a trip. The fact is, very few people "out here" know where Amtrak goes, or when it runs, or anything else for that matter. Simply putting something like that in front of them for the couple of seconds that they may see it might actually make an impression on them.

It is absolutely essential that this practice not spread to passenger-occupied cars. A few years ago, Amtrak teamed up with Yahoo and Compaq to offer wireless internet service on a few trains through Compaq handheld computers provided on board (the service was offered on one NEC train, one Hiawatha, and one California train). To advertise the service, they wrapped a coach with the Yahoo logo. I rode in that car once (and the representative for the computer company was off sick that day, so we weren't able to test the service), and, just as in transit buses, the wrapping made it impossible to see out the windows. It may not be as big of a deal for a local bus where you'll be on for 20 minutes, but if it's a car that people will be on for several hours (or more), keep the windows clear.

Robert Madison
 #69891  by Gilbert B Norman

#4(18) has a Toyota Tundra "on the head" with three additional P-42's "helping out".

Normal nine car passenger consist, along with four Reefers; should be OT @ CUS.

Observation made at my usual MP 18.34

I must wonder if the ad agency who dreamed up this campaign is pushing the image of "Tundra's tough enough to pull a train'. Will there next be a Lexus "pulling" an Acela?
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#69912  by 7 Train

How ironic. Using a train to advertise a car.

Seriously, I'd really want AEM7s with advertising!

#69917  by Joe

I saw the train in Downers Grove, Gilbert. Unfortunately, it was cloudy again, so again my shot was blurry. Got some neat shots of welders welding something on the switches in DG, tho. :-D

#69930  by AmtrakFan

RMadisonWI wrote:
A good route map, 1-800-USA-RAIL, and www.amtrak.com on the side of an engine or baggage car could possibly get someone investigating into the possibility of taking a trip. .
I like Mr. Madison Idea of putting the System map on the cars but I would like to see them put more Ads on the Trains the Baggage Car to pay the bills.

AmtrakFan

#69938  by 7 Train

Amtrak should seriouly consider the idea of vehicle (rolling stock) advertising. It will be a great source of revenue.

In addition to featuring ads from private (outside) companies, Amtrak should also run its own advertising displays, from advertising the latest fare deals, routes and travel destinations to public service annoucements such as rail safety and Operation Lifesaver. In the future, variable message displays for ads on Amtrak vehicles (currently on NYC taxis) will be possible and can provide things like animated ads, scrolling messages and AMBER ALERT.

#69987  by RMadisonWI

Amtrak does have advertising on its NEC cars (interior), though it's been a while since I last rode out there so I don't recall if the advertising is strictly for other Amtrak services, or if the posters also advertise for other companies.

#70403  by RailBus63

I think it's sad that Amtrak is reduced to acting like a city bus company and plastering advertisements on the side of its equipment.

What is the point anyways? Theoretically, such ads should be useless on the side of a vehicle that is supposed to pass by in excess of 75 mph.

JD

#70879  by locomotiveguy

ATK 84 is leaving NOL on #20 this morning. It looks like someone went hunting in it. It’s filthy. We have orders not to run it through the car washer. The front bumper has light blue streaks down it, where the paint dissolved from hand washing the windows with caustic soap.
What kind of paint is it? How long is it supposed to last? And how are we going to remove it when the campaign is over?
The decals for the postal train had to be sanded off. The skin has a thin coat of body filler, which got chewed up in the sanding, and had to be redone. It was a mess.