Railroad Forums 

• Tonawanda - Amherst NY Light Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1637724  by Jeff Smith

Never knew this existed: WGRZ.com
Planned metro line expansion project still draws opposition

TONAWANDA, N.Y. — The NFTA and the Federal Transit Administration are wrapping up their current round of public comment sessions on a planned Metro Rail extension... to the U-B North Campus in Amherst. While a decision point is closer for the projected $1 billion project, 2 On Your Side found out there is still significant opposition with some favoring another transit option.

The Town of Tonawanda Supervisor Joseph Emminger puts it this way "I'm all for progress but I think this is not in the best interests of the Town of Tonawanda at this time."

Emminger says for years he and the town board have had concerns with residents about the push to build seven miles of new Metro-line tracks with some tunneling up to the UB North Campus which could be routed now along NFTA's preferred Niagara Falls Boulevard corridor. He added "They say they're not looking to do eminent domain. I think property values in all honesty - some of those properties on the boulevard - they're gonna lose some property value."
 #1637739  by scratchyX1

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:36 am Never knew this existed: WGRZ.com
Planned metro line expansion project still draws opposition

TONAWANDA, N.Y. — The NFTA and the Federal Transit Administration are wrapping up their current round of public comment sessions on a planned Metro Rail extension... to the U-B North Campus in Amherst. While a decision point is closer for the projected $1 billion project, 2 On Your Side found out there is still significant opposition with some favoring another transit option.

The Town of Tonawanda Supervisor Joseph Emminger puts it this way "I'm all for progress but I think this is not in the best interests of the Town of Tonawanda at this time."

Emminger says for years he and the town board have had concerns with residents about the push to build seven miles of new Metro-line tracks with some tunneling up to the UB North Campus which could be routed now along NFTA's preferred Niagara Falls Boulevard corridor. He added "They say they're not looking to do eminent domain. I think property values in all honesty - some of those properties on the boulevard - they're gonna lose some property value."
Transit generally raises property value.
 #1637753  by SST

Paid for by people who will never ride it while those that do, will likely have a free pass [students].

For all the years that the NFTA Metro has been in operation, I have only ridden on it 4 times. Only just to take a ride on it, not for any need. From my house to downtown, it takes 3 times longer to drive to the UB station, park, walk to the train, wait for the train and then take the train vs just drive downtown. I don't see how this will benefit anybody other than UB North/South. Are they going to provide some funding to help build this? Is our great NY Gov going to supply millions of NYS tax dollars from people that will likely never ride this? I say, "Block it!"
 #1637782  by DGC-24711

Costs for the project aside, I've always wondered what residents/business owners of Niagara Falls Blvd from Kenmore Ave to Sheridan Drive are up in arms about. That road forms the border, Town Of Tonawanda to the west, Amherst on the east. Both sides of the road are fairly dumpy and unorganized in my opinion. It's a 5 lane road for the most part, with a speed "limit" of 35 mph. It's a drag strip so slowing it down a bit by putting light rail down the middle wouldn't hurt.
 #1637834  by SST

While poking around on google maps, why not come out of the tunnel at UB South and head up Bailey Ave, make a right turn onto Millersport Hwy and go straight into the UB North campus. This would be logical to me if this light rail is planned on only going to either campus...no station stops along the way. But if they at least have a stop at Sheridan Dr where Duff's Famous Wings is located, this could become a popular station stop. Long ago, my friend and I would frequently go to Duffs for some eye watering blazing hot chicken wings with pitchers of Gin and Tonics to kill the sting of the hot sauce. One stop at Duffs equals 5 stops on the Blvd.

The other question is, is this light rail going to have station stops along Niagara Falls Blvd for access to various store locations? If this is the plan, then I guess Niagara Falls Blvd would be more logical even though it goes much further west of UB North than Millersport Hwy. Somebody is going to have light rail through either their back yard or beneath their basement.

As I relook at google maps, the Niagara Falls Blvd run could be interesting in that when leaving the UBN campus, maybe the ROW will follow the I-990 to the I-290 and cross under/over it and then cross over Bailey Ave into the area full of stores such as Target, Best Buy and T.J. Max etc, then head south along the Blvd to UBS. Very useful for students or people that live near the stations at either end but totally useless for me...I'll just drive.
 #1637948  by DGC-24711

SST wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:48 am While poking around on google maps, why not come out of the tunnel at UB South and head up Bailey Ave, make a right turn onto Millersport Hwy and go straight into the UB North campus. This would be logical to me if this light rail is planned on only going to either campus...no station stops along the way. But if they at least have a stop at Sheridan Dr where Duff's Famous Wings is located, this could become a popular station stop. Long ago, my friend and I would frequently go to Duffs for some eye watering blazing hot chicken wings with pitchers of Gin and Tonics to kill the sting of the hot sauce. One stop at Duffs equals 5 stops on the Blvd.

The other question is, is this light rail going to have station stops along Niagara Falls Blvd for access to various store locations? If this is the plan, then I guess Niagara Falls Blvd would be more logical even though it goes much further west of UB North than Millersport Hwy. Somebody is going to have light rail through either their back yard or beneath their basement.

As I relook at google maps, the Niagara Falls Blvd run could be interesting in that when leaving the UBN campus, maybe the ROW will follow the I-990 to the I-290 and cross under/over it and then cross over Bailey Ave into the area full of stores such as Target, Best Buy and T.J. Max etc, then head south along the Blvd to UBS. Very useful for students or people that live near the stations at either end but totally useless for me...I'll just drive.
I read a story on a plan from 2014 that had it on Bailey ave (ny 62) to Eggert to touch the to be rebuilt Northtown Plaza to NF BLVD passing the to be rebuilt Boulevard Mall and then east on Maple to Sweet Home and thru the campus on Rensch and stopping where that road does in the campus.

I think the plan sounds like passing by the southwest Amherst retail.

Either one seems odd because shouldn't there be a car house/mechanic shop for it be out in northern Amherst? Ending at UBS as it does now, isn't too far from the DLW building, but UBN seems way far out.
 #1639518  by videobruce

SST wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:18 am Paid for by people who will never ride it while those that do, will likely have a free pass [students].
For all the years that the NFTA Metro has been in operation, I have only ridden on it 4 times. Is our great NY Gov going to supply millions of NYS tax dollars from people that will likely never ride this? I say, "Block it!"
But it's ok to spend a Billion on a football stadium that is used, what, 8 or 9 tomes a year?????
 #1639519  by videobruce

As far as the location;
Since a TBM has to be used to continue from UB South into Amherst, why not take the direct route; continue boring under Grover Cleveland Parkway/Millisport to the North Campus, or even Bailey Ave.

I haven't seen what the plan is when that proposed line crosses at grade in the Bermuda Triangle (Eggert/Sheridan/Nia Falls Blvd).
 #1639577  by SST

[/quote]But it's ok to spend a Billion on a football stadium that is used, what, 8 or 9 tomes a year?????
[/quote]

How about the insane amount of money the Govn'r is spending for the sarcophagus over the Kensington Expy[33].

I'm not really for or against the stadium, but at least there will be a large amount of people that will use it. Whereas the 33 project, only a handful of people will be affected in the immediate area. That money should go for repair/replacement of sewer and water lines BEFORE they break.
 #1639582  by videobruce

It's far more than "a few" that live along what was Humboldt Parkway.
This is to correct the Robert Moses Buffalo version of the "Cross Bronx Expressway" abortion of the 50's? AFA a few thousand using that stadium a few times each year vs neighborhoods that were decimated affecting hundreds plus continuously 24/7, guess that doesn't matter to you. Same goes for the 198.

Then there is that waste product; the 990 that basically parallels Millersport out in the middle of nowhere just like that 219 extension of a few additional miles south of Springville that few use. I suppose that wasn't money?

As to your statement that YOU don't use the LRRT and don't see the benefit, that's YOU, as opposed to
"In 2022, the system had a ridership of 2,386,400, or about 8,200 per weekday as of the third quarter of 2023".
That's 8,200 PER DAY that disagree with you.

Enlighten yourself;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Metro_Rail

So keep on polluting the atmosphere with your internal combusting engine in you car happy suburb just so you can get somewhere 5 or so minutes faster..
Oh, BTW, you never took into consideration of the time saving (and expense) of parking in downtown Buffalo.
 #1639583  by videobruce

videobruce wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 am It's far more than "a few" that live along what was Humboldt Parkway.
This is to correct the Robert Moses (Buffalo) version of the "Cross Bronx Expressway" abortion of the 50's? AFA a few thousand using that stadium a few times each year vs neighborhoods that were decimated affecting hundreds plus continuously 24/7, guess that doesn't matter to you. Same goes for the 198.

Then there is that waste product; the 990 that basically parallels Millersport out in the middle of nowhere just like that 219 extension of a few additional miles south of Springville that few use. I suppose that wasn't money?

As to your statement that YOU don't use the LRRT and don't see the benefit, that's YOU, as opposed to
"In 2022, the system had a ridership of 2,386,400, or about 8,200 per weekday as of the third quarter of 2023".
That's 8,200 PER DAY that disagree with you. And that would of doubled or tripled if the originally planned Tonawanda extension using the old Erie Niagara Falls branch was built, inside of that bike/pedestrian path.

Enlighten yourself;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Metro_Rail

So keep on polluting the atmosphere with your internal combusting engine in you car happy suburb just so you can get somewhere 5 or so minutes faster..
Oh, BTW, you never took into consideration of the time saving (and expense) of parking in downtown Buffalo.
 #1639607  by SST

I will thoroughly enjoy starting my car, and soon my truck and boat. I will dearly think of you when I turn the key.
 #1639610  by videobruce

Spoken just like a true, selfish, only thinking of yourself. Not being part of the solution, you are the problem. The next time I see a standing still traffic jam I'll smile hoping you are in it. Enjoy the CO and CO2 you are producing.
 #1639658  by NHV 669

videobruce wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 am AFA a few thousand using that stadium a few times each year vs neighborhoods that were decimated affecting hundreds plus continuously 24/7, guess that doesn't matter to you. Same goes for the 198
That stadium seats over half a million people in a 4 month span, and that's just for 1x a week NFL games... You could have educated yourself on the matter with a quick Google search, instead of loudly throwing a tantrum like a five year old because someone doesn't agree with you.

As for the LRRT ridership, that math comes out to just over 6500 a day, whoever edited that Wikipedia article has terrible math skills.... that comes down to roughly 0.02% of the population (City of Buffalo) using it on a given day, averaged out over a full year. That doesn't sound like an efficient return, despite those 6,500 people "agreeing" with you.

If we want to factor in the entire metro area population, 1.2 million, that number drops to .005%. Yeah, I wouldn't really consider dropping a billion dollars on extending that a smart choice, regardless of what other wasteful projects in NYS we can drag up to compare it to.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.