Railroad Forums 

• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1625706  by JohnFromJersey

Doubt it. TRIT will never be ripped up. NJT will make sure of it. Likely the line will continue to rot until NJT decides to do something with it.

There were rumors of a transloading yard but I doubt that
 #1625723  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:24 pm Amerigas Propane was demolished today. Looks like yet another storage facility is being put in despite a monster 4 story one being built literally 5 minutes down the road 🙄
Coulda sworn I said it was sold off yet that was challenged by someone claiming they desperately wanted rail service. Maybe the storage units will be place holders for that large unnecessary intermodal transflow terminal that no one wants.
 #1625725  by AceMacSD

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:05 am Although the OOS line runs past the bus terminal, there's no way the train would be competitive with the 137.
I don't frequent the Parkway often but FWIH is that even with traffic, driving still faster than taking the train to points north. People will take the fastest mode of transportation, which even with an active rail line in TR (again, if it were an active passenger route), I'm sure most'll go for the bus.
 #1625729  by R&DB

Seeing all the talk about the TRIT being history is interesting. The State just replaced the crossing at Bimini Road. And it has not seen a train since about 2005.
 #1625746  by JohnFromJersey

FYI, driving from Long Branch to NY Penn is about a half hour faster than taking the train from Long Branch to NY Penn.

Sure the train from Toms River to NY/points north is gonna be slow, but you don't need to worry about parking.
 #1625760  by R&DB

John from Jersey,
Yes a passenger train from Ocean County will be slower than driving, but much less stress. I commuted (via auto) from Howell to Livingston for 18 years. If there had been a way to use transit I would have done it to get off the highways. I firmly believe the Toms River Park & Ride should be turned into a rail station as the southern terminus for MOM. MOM has been discussed since the 80s. It's time to reopen this line closed since 1953.
 #1625762  by Bracdude181

R&DB wrote:Seeing all the talk about the TRIT being history is interesting. The State just replaced the crossing at Bimini Road. And it has not seen a train since about 2005.
Last train was with CSX 4441 in winter 2005, and that train was a fluke. They had one boxcar for Builders but it was billed for Builders in Freehold. Whoops.

I have the picture if anyone is interested.
 #1625784  by Bracdude181

No. The car was brought down by mistake. Billed for Freehold, brought to Tom’s River instead.

Here’s the picture. Buddy of mine took it with a disposal Kodak camera.Image
 #1625836  by AceMacSD

That wasn't a mistake on CR's part. IIRC, that's when BG requested the car down there. They were working on there loading dock at Freehold and the car was to be unloaded in TR and trucked. Forgot the rest but either someone at Freehold didn't tell TR or TR underestimated or they no longer had a loading ramp but the car wasn't unloaded and had to go back to Freehold.
 #1637277  by JohnFromJersey

A week or two ago, drone footage following much of the TRIT's ROW was uploaded to one of the Facebook groups - Freehold Secondary Railfans I Think? Nature has claimed back quite a lot of this line since the last revenue train in 2005.

Nonetheless, even though there are no customers on this line, I wonder if this line being 5 or so miles would be useful for railcar storage. From what I've gathered from these forums and parsing through railcar storage company's website, railcar storage averages $4-16 dollars per car per day. But I'm sure it would cost a pretty penny to fix up the TRIT...
 #1637323  by AceMacSD

I see those drone vids. Great work. Not sure if it's the same guy who did the Clayton line drone video. Think it was a piney conservation group but good stuff.

Regarding the Toms River, we're not going down there. We're not doing anything beyond Lakewood for a very long time. We'll pick up car storage when the time's right. First gotta fix these obstacles on the Freehold.
 #1637336  by Bracdude181

Appalling track conditions for one. Especially between Freehold and Englishtown.

Also when are they going to replace the bridge that got hit by the truck a few weeks back? Grant mentions it being replaced.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk