Railroad Forums 

• Thomas the Tank Engine television series layout?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#332928  by SteelWheels21

Sorry if this has been posted before, are there any articles or videos about the layout they used to film the Thomas/Shining Time TV shows? It's been a favorite of my kids, I like watching it because it looks like an excellent layout.

#332988  by Engineer James

I was always wondering that myself. I watched the show on Good Ole PBS, back when I was a kid. I know they have a NEW version I think it is still presented by Britt-Alacroft. But, It would be interesting to see the track plan.

#333122  by RDG-LNE

Back in the Mid-90's Model Railroader ran an article on how the series was shot. I guess you could find it by searching the all time magazine index on trains.com .

Drew

#333682  by CNJ999

In fact, there simply is no Thomas layout. The show is filmed on various scenicked modules or tables up to around 20' in length, re-built or created new as the script calls for by a team of on-set model builders. The idea than there is actually a true layout depicting the Island of Sodor for this show is simply a myth.

CNJ999

#334020  by Dieter

IN one of the books there's a map of Sodor. It would be interesting to base a layout on it.

D/

#334027  by mainetrain

CNJ999 wrote:In fact, there simply is no Thomas layout. The idea than there is actually a true layout depicting the Island of Sodor for this show is simply a myth.CNJ999
Oh, and I suppose there's no such thing as Santa, either :-)

#334118  by Otto Vondrak

I am enjoying this conversation, but I don't believe animatronic steam engines that peep belong in *scale* model railroading. Off to the garden we go...

#334177  by prt1607j

Ouch Otto.. Ouch.. that hurts........ plus we all know... THIER FACES ARE TO SCALE COME ON... plus them little HO models... thier HO...SCALE!!!!..

#334229  by ApproachMedium

Yes, I believe thomas was based on LGB trains. The original release of thomas as a model train was in LGB by Lionel. I used to have it.

#334282  by Otto Vondrak

If you read the Wiki about the Island of Sodor, you'll see the authors of the original Railway Series did a fair amount of "proto-freelancing," creating a whole history of the railways on the island, including nationalization in 1948! There's a rhyme and reason for everything on the fictional island...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodor_%28f ... _island%29

-otto-

#334554  by VaCentralRwy

Well bust my buffers! Thomas has nothing to do with "scale" model railroading? We'll see what Sir Topham Hatt has to say about this! So much for Thomas and Gordon being really useful engines for my boys as they shunt the industries on my layout. Hmmm, "scale" model railroading: plastic engines with electric motors running on track with plastic ties. Sounds like toys to me.

#334597  by Jersey Jeff

Otto Vondrak wrote:I am enjoying this conversation, but I don't believe animatronic steam engines that peep belong in *scale* model railroading. Off to the garden we go...
Egad, Otto! It is the Bachman HO Thomas trains that are making my son a fan of SCALE model railroading. On my railroad, Thomas, James and Percy can chug by my weathered Penn Central diesels anytime.

And visit any model railroad club's open house and see what trains the kids enjoy the most...

#334643  by WANF-11--->Chaser

Humbug

That does it, I'm calling George Carlin....

I don't think he'll appreciate anyone dissing his pal Thomas.

Ringo, a sad song please!

:-D