Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#551266  by JCGUY

This has been bothering me for a while. I understand that in connection with the restoration of the Exchange Place Station following 9/11 in 2003 that the station was modified to accommodate 10-car trains. Looking at the platforms, there is no obvious place where there is evidence that a platform extension occurred (for example, obviously newer and older flooring or) -- the place looks the same to me. Can someone explain how one could see in the station visual evidence of the extension?
 #551329  by Terry Kennedy

JCGUY wrote:This has been bothering me for a while. I understand that in connection with the restoration of the Exchange Place Station following 9/11 in 2003 that the station was modified to accommodate 10-car trains. Looking at the platforms, there is no obvious place where there is evidence that a platform extension occurred (for example, obviously newer and older flooring or) -- the place looks the same to me. Can someone explain how one could see in the station visual evidence of the extension?
Near the New Jersey end of the Manhattan-bound platform, you'll see a concrete arch protruding down from the ribbed ceiling. That used to be pretty much at the end of the platform - it is now a ways in (the platform was extended on the New Jersey end, as the New York end is already under the river). That arch was originally exactly at the end of the platform, but the platform was lengthened as much as possible without changing the track alignment a long time ago.

Attached are two images that may explain this better. The first is a detail from the original 1909 "as-built" drawing (not a blueprint - the original pen drawing). The second is a Port Authority drawing from the bidder's package showing the area of work to be excavated / filled. If you look at the darker yellow areas, those were the original tunnels that were filled in and are now part of the platform / station.

#554927  by Terry Kennedy

OportRailfan wrote:those are some good images and drawings? where'd you get them?
Thanks! They're from my personal collection, amassed over many years. Sometimes I exhibit parts of it - the last time was in 2003 at the Hoboken Historical Museum (click here).