Railroad Forums 

• Teens Arrested in Train Prank (Rochester)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#518060  by judgesmails

From R-News this morning. One of the more stupid and destructive things I've read about lately.

"Monroe County Sheriff's deputies arrested five teenage boys who they say placed a boulder on train tracks in Chili. A train struck the boulder and became stuck on the tracks overnight.

The disabled train closed Chili Avenue and Old Scottsville-Chili Road around 7 p.m. Monday.

A crane was brought in to assist with the repairs. The train did not derail.

Authorities charged the boys with criminal mischief and interfering with railroad operations. "

#518061  by Brad Smith

I sure hope the delinquents and/or mommy and daddy have to make full restitution for all expenses incurred.

#518122  by railwatcher

exerpted from Rochester D&C:

Monroe County Sheriff’s deputies today released the names of the five teens facing felony charges for allegedly causing substantial damage to a train engine last night in Chili.

The teens —Michael A Ciaramaglia, 17, of Rochelle Drive, Riga; Joseph M. Neerbasch, 17, of Still Moon Crescent, Chili; Jordan M. Leipold, 16, of Privet Way, Chili; Joseph D. Relyea, 17, of Norway Spruce, Chili; and Aaron M. Spencer, 16, of Beaver Road, Chili — were each charged with second-degree criminal mischief and interfering with a railroad, both felonies, said Sheriff’s spokesman Cpl. John Helfer.

The teens allegedly together placed a three-foot wide rock on the railroad tracks near 3400 Chili Avenue last night, Helfer said.

Deputies were called to the scene at 5:50 p.m., after a CSX train engineer reported that a westbound train struck the boulder and that the train’s two engines “sustained substantial damage,” Helfer said. The two-mile-long train did not derail, but it blocked portions of Chili Avenue and Old Chili Scottsville Road, near Suburban Propane and Memorial Park, for nearly 11 hours.

Both roads reopened just before 5 a.m. today Tuesday, March 25, after CSX crews removed the train engines, according to Monroe County emergency dispatchers. CSX crews reportedly used a large crane early today to remove the engines and clear the tracks.

Deputy Matthew Mackenzie was responding to the call when he saw the five teens walking away from the railroad crossing to a nearby McDonald’s restaurant on Chili Avenue.

The teens were charged late yesterday and were arraigned in Chili Town Court, Helfer said. All five teens were released on their own recognizance, he said.

They are due back in Chili Court Thursday at 6:30 p.m. for an appearance with their attorneys.

#518123  by jgallaway81

Now, If it was up to me? All five would be charged with terroristic activities, attmepting to cause national economic disruption, and if ANY loaded hazmat was aboard, I'd go for intent to commit murder with weapons of mass destruction... one or two such cases and maybe the public would finally get their collective heads out of their @$$3$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#518132  by CarterB

The ACLU will probably step in and defend the young punks and file a $$$$$$$$ law suit against the railroad for being an 'attractive nuisance'.

#518145  by pablo

I agree with Mr. Galloway. This is an ideal opportunity to go after serious charges for a serious crime.

Perhaps a look at the manifest will cause a change in charges. CSX would have to be out front of this for that sort of thing to happen.

Dave Becker

#518160  by railwatcher

Pablo, maybe we should send them to the "right" principals office! :wink:

Sometime at Industry school for boys, so they can daily be antagonized by the sound of the LAL blowing through the crossing right down the street. This would be a good start. But, some hard time for that kind of destruction should be realized.

#518171  by FarmallBob

railwatcher wrote:exerpted from Rochester D&C: ....

The teens were charged late yesterday and were arraigned in Chili Town Court, Helfer said. All five teens were released on their own recognizance.....
Incredible.....

#518188  by clearblock

The charges they face are not trivial. Criminal Mischief in the second degree is a Class D felony that carries a prison sentance of up to 7 years.

I don't have any current information on the "interfering with a railroad" charge but I believe there was some recent legislation that would make that a Class E felony and also require restitution to the railroad of all costs of damage and delays caused by the trespasser.

#518207  by CSX-Dan5377

Yeah, we have some real winners out there. :( Not to mention how this might come back and bite Teen Railfans in the rear for these teen's stupid actions. I hope they get whats coming to them.

Dan

#518220  by pablo

I don't know, but I would assume that there would be major damage to the underside, likely including traction motors and possibly fuel tanks, especially if it had to be lifted.

As for the principal's office, as a prospective school administrator, let me say this: there are times when schools let kids off the hook, due to parental pressure, and things like that. It's not fair, but it happens.

The way to prevent it (and it happens in some districts near to me) is to call the police whenever something like this happens. Call and see if it's actionable...then let the action happen. The wherewithal has to be there to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, though.

Is CSX willing to push for worse charges? Would they be willing to push if there was a fatality? What about if a chlorine car was ruptured and a cloud of gas killed someone? Are there people yelling loudly to punish everyone, like when an NS train went through a misaligned switch in South Carolina (I think), killing unsuspecting people?

Let me say this: this won't have been these teens' first brush with the law. They are also underperformers in the classroom. You can spot these things.

Dave Becker

#518254  by SimTrains

I actually love to know how a bunch of kids were able to pick up a boulder big enough to stop a train.

#518288  by CSX-Dan5377

Good Point.....

Dan

#518302  by Otto Vondrak

SimTrains wrote:I actually love to know how a bunch of kids were able to pick up a boulder big enough to stop a train.
When you have five kids, it's not that hard. Weren't you ever in Scouts? :-D