Railroad Forums 

• Tank car in North Cambridge, MA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#192741  by CSX Conductor

North Cambridge facility? If you are referring to the MBTA location by Alewife, it may be the tank car for the chemical being sprayed on the commuter rail lines to reduce slippery rail conditions due to leaves on the rails.
 #193079  by GP40MC1118

If it's MBTX 2517, its the tank car used in Power Washing service (track
washing). It was bought 10/05 and ex-NECX 2517, cycled through
Ebenezer Car Shops in upstate New York.

Dave

#193123  by 130MM

CSX Conductor wrote:North Cambridge facility? If you are referring to the MBTA location by Alewife, it may be the tank car for the chemical being sprayed on the commuter rail lines to reduce slippery rail conditions due to leaves on the rails.
That chemical being sprayed is dihydrogen oxide, i.e. water. It is sprayed at approx. 15,000 psi.

And the facility is located in what used to be the North Yard at West Cambridge. Strangely enough, the tracks on the other side of the main from the North Yard were called the East Yard. Go figure.

#207196  by l008com

15,000psi? But wouldn't that be enough to send ballast shooting like missiles?

#207673  by 130MM

l008com wrote:15,000psi? But wouldn't that be enough to send ballast shooting like missiles?
The nozzles are small enough, are mounted low enough and are aligned so that the spray only hits the running surface of the rail.

#207689  by kwf

130MM wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:North Cambridge facility? If you are referring to the MBTA location by Alewife, it may be the tank car for the chemical being sprayed on the commuter rail lines to reduce slippery rail conditions due to leaves on the rails.
That chemical being sprayed is dihydrogen oxide, i.e. water. It is sprayed at approx. 15,000 psi.
I saw it in action on both the Fitchburg and the Lowell routes. At the time I didn't know what was being sprayed. Also, I was near the tracks by chance both times, and didn't have my camera...both times.,..I gotta get on the ball...They had the new switcher, the tank car, the sprayer car and a caboose...