Railroad Forums 

• Systemwide Speed Restriction 3/10/23

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1618314  by Komarovsky

TurningOfTheWheel wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:38 pm
Head-end View wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:40 pm I'm not following this. Are these speed restrictions at specified locations each for a short distance or is it a system-wide reduction in speed on all parts of all the lines involved?
Currently, it is the former for all lines except the Green Line. For the Green Line, there is a "global" speed restriction, meaning that, unless a lower speed is posted or there is an existing slow zone, the line speed limit is reduced to 25 mph. The other lines had these restrictions at the time of the announcement, but they have since been lifted in favor of the slow zone segments that you describe (though perhaps they are not "short" distances).
Any reason why the green line is still stuck with the global restriction? For all the branches except for the D, it's pretty inconsequential, but for the D it's a huge hit, certainly between Riverside and Fenway and especially between Riverside and Reservoir.
 #1618339  by Head-end View

TurningOfTheWheel wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:38 pm
Head-end View wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:40 pm I'm not following this. Are these speed restrictions at specified locations each for a short distance or is it a system-wide reduction in speed on all parts of all the lines involved?
Currently, it is the former for all lines except the Green Line. For the Green Line, there is a "global" speed restriction, meaning that, unless a lower speed is posted or there is an existing slow zone, the line speed limit is reduced to 25 mph. The other lines had these restrictions at the time of the announcement, but they have since been lifted in favor of the slow zone segments that you describe (though perhaps they are not "short" distances).
Thanks for the info. And why do they need a "global" speed restriction to 25mph on the Green Line? :( I assume that includes the full length of the Medford extension too?
 #1618370  by TurningOfTheWheel

They haven't communicated a specific reason for it. Anything I say here (such as, maybe one of the inadequate pieces of documentation was for something that impacted the whole line) would be pure speculation. It is interesting that they lifted the global restrictions on the other lines (except Mattapan) in less than 24 hours, but we're still here a week later with global restrictions on the full Green Line.
 #1618426  by BandA

Riverside - Reservoir used to be very fast; Was it 50 or 60 MAS back in the LRV days? And I remember 6 MPH signs somewhere around North Station - Science Park.
 #1618715  by wicked

I usually take the Red/Green Lines into work. Lately I've resorted to taking the commuter rail, especially now that CharlieCard monthly tickets are being accepted from Braintree and Quincy Center.

My commute home from work, which has been taking an hour and a half or more lately on the subway, took 45 minutes last night from Lansdowne to Braintree, including a 15-minute stopover at South Station. I'd settle for an hour or so on the Green/Red Lines. I don't think I'm asking for a lot.
 #1621988  by Head-end View

I just spent a few days in the Boston area including riding on the Red Line between Braintree and South Station. I could not believe what bad shape that line is in. :( In past years the trip between Braintree and South Station typically took twenty-two minutes. This time it took an unbelievable forty-nine minutes with most of the ride traveling at maybe 15-20mph.

After doing that just once, I reverted to using the Commuter Rail train especially when I found out that you can ride it for free just by showing your Charlie Card. And it only takes 15-20 minutes.

I also rode from Park St. to Harvard Square. That ride was sort of slow too but not as bad as the Braintree ride.

And I checked out the Green Line Extension to Medford/Tufts which was a very good ride. On that project at least the MBTA did pretty good.
 #1622024  by Head-end View

And I forgot to mention an interesting observation: Most Red Line trains are now running with headlights on in the tunnels. What's up with that? For over thirty years of riding that line when in Boston, the only time I ever saw headlights used on the Red Line was at night outside the tunnels. Has there been an official change of procedure?
 #1622027  by MBTA3247

Department of Public Utilities. It's been the state's transit regulator since at least the early 20th century.
 #1622028  by Head-end View

Okay thanks. I'm from New York so I wouldn't be familiar with Massachusetts regulatory agencies. And so if they've been around almost forever why are they requiring headlights now when they never required them before?