Railroad Forums 

• Sunset/Starlight adventure report

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#71487  by cityofmiami

On Tuesday, the Sunset Limited was late arriving in to New Orleans. I knew it was late, but not how much. We finally departed 4 and 1/2 hours late. The folks already on the train said it had been five hours late leaving Sanford the day before. The train was full. At 3:30 am Tuesday night we were awakened with the news that the train was terminated at Houston and we would be bussed to San Antonio (I had feared this nightmare, but if wasn't one, really). Two hours later we finally arrived in Houston; with the various transfers of folks and the 3 hr drive to San Antonio it actually took just about the 6 hrs the schedule allots for the rail trip. The #2 train which had been terminated there was sitting there and we just moved into our same accommodations. As we progressed through TX we got later and later and into CA much later until we arrived at Union Station LA 12 and 1/2 hours late. It was odd in that there was not the obvious freight congestion I witnessed on the Southwest Chief last August. We mainly just seemed to roll along SLOWLY with an occasional halt. I had known from this board that we would be late so I had planned a night in LA before transferring to the Starlight. The result was that I enjoyed the trip and did not have the frustation and anxiety that plagued some other passengers, although I had hoped to have the afternoon in LA and maybe go to the opera last night, but it was too late. By and large though the passengers were pretty good - I did not hear any rants or vows of never again. Mainly I heard wishes that the crew be more polite and considerate and informative. Apparently those on the Texas Eagle who joined us had a much worse time of it as a result of the weather problems (extensive flooding was obvious throughout SE TX).
Yesterday the Starlight left on time. I noticed several crew members from the SL at work on this train too. It was very full which surprised me. 3 sleepers, Parlour Car, Diner, Lounge, 4 coaches, baggage, transition dorm, and the Silver Lariat dome at the end. By Santa Barbara we were running about 20 minutes late and maintained that through Oakland where I detrained at 9:50pm, a happy camper. It was a great adventure and I'm glad I did it. I will do it again if Amtrak keeps the line open. According to the Route Guide we traversed much of the best scenery in the dark, i.e. El Paso to Tucson. California, however, is stunning and wins hands down IMHO. So beautiful! All the way up to the sun setting over the hills as we slowly climbed up over the mountains north of San Luis Obispo.
There were all sorts of people on these trains, including a sizeable contingent of the elderly and frail and a shocking number of the morbidly obese.
Just shy of 3000 miles! What a trip. What a country. Hooray for Amtrak! Next big trip in April, if I can wait that Long!
John Andrew (who hopes y'all had a happy TG too)

#71508  by AmtrakFan

Glad to learn that there wasn't chaos, disorder and panic aboard the Sunset. :-D

AmtrakFan/John Poshepny