Railroad Forums 

• Suggestions for Portland, Maine?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1443506  by hi55us

Taking a joy ride up to Portland on Saturday to take my first-ever ride on a Dome car, any recommendations for restaurants/shopping ect. around the train station? Should have about 2-3 hours. It seems there isn't much around the station, but downtown Portland is only a 10 minute uber away.
 #1443535  by jonnhrr

Route 1 runs from the station (PTC) to Monument Square. Just South of there is the Old Port which has many restaurants and stores. If you had time you could even take a ride on one of the ferries out to the islands from the terminal. Check TripAdvisor or Yelp for restaurant recommendations. The bus runs every half hour on Saturday.

As you noted there is not much within walking distance of the PTC.

Jon
 #1443545  by TomNelligan

The station itself is on the fringe of downtown in a non-tourist neighborhood, but as other have noted you can easily take a city bus (or taxi/Uber) to the Old Port district's shops and restaurants a couple miles away. That's what I do when I take one of my periodic Downeaster rides.
 #1443555  by CN9634

Get up to Congress via the free bus, then walk down Temple street into the heart of the Old Port. Basically all of Fore Street, Markets & Exchange as well down to Commercial. You won't regret it.
 #1443603  by markhb

There are a few places now within walking distance of the train station, particularly if you like adult beverages and fried chicken (also Bigfoot). If you come out of the station, turn left and follow the road around and down the hill, you'll find Thompson's Point, home of the aforementioned chicken place as well as a brewery, winery and distillery, and the Cryptozoological Museum. I certainly wouldn't tell you not to go see our downtown, but if you would prefer the "walking from the station" thing there's TP and Espo's Trattoria, a family-owned red sauce Italian place a short walk down Congress St.
 #1443666  by hi55us

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely will consider the bus and excited by all the restaurant options I see on google maps.
 #1443758  by electricron

deathtopumpkins wrote:The Yarmouth ferry is a 6-7 hour ride each way. And there's not much in Yarmouth worth seeing anyway.
And it runs to Yarmouth in the evenings and towards Portland in the mornings, so that excursion will require a hotel overnight stay in Yarmouth.
 #1443780  by jonnhrr

You could take the ferry to Peak's Island from the terminal on Commercial St. it is a 17 minute trip each way so doable in your time frame.
 #1443799  by phoebesnow

And if you want to do something "railroad", you can visit the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum:
https://www.mainenarrowgauge.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can easily do the entire museum in an hour.