Railroad Forums 

• Status of railbikes

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1479841  by sd80mac

What's the situation with the railbikes at 2 locations? are they still in operation?

thanks
 #1480141  by SST

I'm glad you brought this topic up as I've never heard of this place. I wish I had known about it. I just canceled my trip to Saratoga Springs which then includes White River Jct. Weather and family issues. But this will get saved and I'll try another time.

Have these guys been in business for awhile? Or is this some mom and pop start up kinda thing?
 #1480290  by SST

I will likely be doing this solo. Will they let you ride a tandem solo? More difficult than riding a bike on a rail/trail?
 #1480294  by jurtz

When Rail Explorers ran in Saranac Lake, they typically had a single guide riding a tandem bike at each end of the group, so they can definitely be propelled by a single person. Obviously, a lot will depend on the rider's physical condition, the grades involved, and the design of the bike itself. I have not ridden any of the current operations, and the North Creek operation uses bikes of a different design than Rail Explorers, so I can't offer any guidance to you. It might also be possible for a single rider to pair up with one of the guides so that they don't have to do it alone. I would just ask them when you book your ride.
 #1480449  by rhallock

When I rode on the rail explorers trips in the Adirondacks I rode with a guide who did most of the peddling. I have arthritis and wasn't at all sure that I could keep up on my own. Riding with a guide also let me have the benefit of his knowledge of the area. It made the experience more enjoyable.