Railroad Forums 

• Southern Regional student digs up railroad history

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#737223  by OCtrainguy

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 9911100323
Southern Regional student digs up railroad history
BARNEGAT — Danny Petoia is, quite literally, unearthing the past.

Since the beginning of September, the 17-year-old Eagle Scout candidate and Southern Regional High School student has been digging out the original turntable on the Barnegat Branch of the Central Railroad of New Jersey. For a Scout from a family of train enthusiasts, the project makes sense. Both Danny Petoia and his father, Bob, work for railroad companies. "It's in their blood," said Danny's mother, Katie. Bob Petoia, a railroad history buff, said he knew of the Barnegat Branch turntable, but never could find it. "We've been down here 10 years, and I've looked for this turntable for years," he said.
Eagle Scout uncovers historic CNJ RR Turntable

[Please do not copy and paste whole articles from the internet, that is copyright violation. Brief quote and link only, pleaase. -omv]

I provided the link and the text as I know the press' website moves articles and the links become void.

Barnegat had the Tuckerton Railroad as well as the CNJ, and the coaling dock from the Tuckerton Railroad still stands. Kudos to Dan and his fellow Eagle Scouts for finding and uncovering this.
 #737361  by JLo

very cool. Its a bit off topic, but while browsing the weather channels site there was a picture posted from cape may,nj showing old trolley tracks exposed in the sand from the last nor'easter we had. Pretty cool to see.
If you ever get the chance to visit Cape May Lighthouse, they have a nice museum with some information on the town of South Cape May, which no longer exists, courtesy of the Atlantic Ocean. Plenty of pictures showing the trolley route that ran from Cape May Light to Cape May City, including a few with the tracks and trolley in the surf.
 #737657  by GSC

Nice job for this Eagle Scout!

I've been involved with several Eagle projects and it's a Scout safety rule that no power equipment or tools can be used by someone under 18 years old. And you can't become an Eagle after you are over 18, so hand and manual tools are the entire choice. A lot more is involved than the actual physical work. It also involves planning, "hiring" and maintaining a crew, paperwork of all kinds, acquiring donations of tools and materials, inventory, scheduling, and follow-up after the job is done.

Congrats to Danny and everyone involed!

I read that it was normal to fill a tender tank before turning the engine, as the whole locomotive was better balanced and easier to "armstrong" the table around.
 #738214  by The Rising

Steve F45 wrote:here's the photo from weather channels site.

Hello All,

I was just looking through the photos of all the Scouts working hard on that project. It is truly a labor of love. My best wishes and congratulations on a job well done!

As for Steve's photo link, I have just one thought to add..... :smile:

I remember as a child visiting the Lighthouse and the other famous relic lost at sea just off Cape May's coast, the SS Atlantus.

http://www.concreteships.org/ships/ww1/atlantus/

Years ago, it was alot more intact than it is today.

But seeing those tracks tail off toward the deep blue sea, I couldn't help but think of those cartoons in Railfan and Railroad magazine.

Will we see the railfans lining up at that location on the beach for a photo runby featuring NYS&W 141 as it comes a "chugging up" them tracks anytime soon........ :wink:

Just a thought

That's all for now folks.....

See ya all later!
 #738293  by GSC

How long before some dummy falls into the pit and tries to sue someone and ruin all the hard word these kids did?
 #738313  by EDM5970

I agree, it is nice to see teens getting involved in a project of this nature. Too much time is spent in front of the TV or computer these days. This gets them outside, and in touch with some genuine history.

On another topic, though, how long before someone declares that the turntable was improperly abandoned, petitions the STB for permission to take possesion of it, and declares it a Class III carrier?
 #754692  by dlagrua

The Rising wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:here's the photo from weather channels site.

Hello All,

I was just looking through the photos of all the Scouts working hard on that project. It is truly a labor of love. My best wishes and congratulations on a job well done!

As for Steve's photo link, I have just one thought to add..... :smile:

I remember as a child visiting the Lighthouse and the other famous relic lost at sea just off Cape May's coast, the SS Atlantus.

http://www.concreteships.org/ships/ww1/atlantus/

Years ago, it was alot more intact than it is today.

But seeing those tracks tail off toward the deep blue sea, I couldn't help but think of those cartoons in Railfan and Railroad magazine.

Will we see the railfans lining up at that location on the beach for a photo runby featuring NYS&W 141 as it comes a "chugging up" them tracks anytime soon........ :wink:

Just a thought

That's all for now folks.....

Great

See ya all later!
Great

Great scout project. Those tracks going out to Cape May Point shown here did in fact go all the way to Schlesingers Landing. If you look at the picture on the wall at the Lobsterhouse Restaurant, you can see pictures where a spur went right on the docks. This was probably to help uload the fishing boats and bring the catch to market.