Railroad Forums 

• Southern Railway Class ( D) Shays

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #1591781  by Pat Fahey

Hi
This is my first time posting on this site, what I would like to know is this.
I brought the book The shay Locomotive that was printed in 2021, I noticed that the Southern Ry, had two (2) shays that were located in Knoxville, Tennessee. The road number of the locomotives were # 4000 & 4001,
What branch out of Knoxville, Tennessee did they run out of????
I have the book by R.E. Prince, Southern Railway System, Steam Locomotive, and Boats. the book does mention the locomotives were delivered by Lima to Knoxville, but it does say if they were used on the Mainline, Branch line, etc.
I know the locomotives were also sold to the C&O, in 1915, Thank you Pat.
 #1593465  by west point

They may have been for the route that ran along the Little River that was used to build Fontanna dam. The dam covered the ROW which I believe once connected to SOU RR's Murphy branch? There is some debate about those statements. SOU built the Tennessee and Carolina Southern railroad from Knoxville (actually Maryville connection of the Knoxville and Alcoa RR) and the Carolina and Tennessee Southern from the Murphy branch near Bryson City. That route along the river is very tight and a shay probably was needed.

Never knew SOU ever had shays.
 #1593468  by west point

west point wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:00 pm They may have been for the route that ran along the Little River that was used to build Fontanna dam. The dam covered the ROW which I believe once connected to SOU RR's Murphy branch? There is some debate about those statements. SOU built the Tennessee and Carolina Southern railroad from Knoxville (actually Maryville connection of the Knoxville and Alcoa RR) and the Carolina and Tennessee Southern from the Murphy branch near Bryson City. It has been debated whether those two RRs met near the future Fontanna. That route along the river is very tight and a shay probably was needed.

Believe most dam building material came from the Murphy branch. Once the dam started rising the branch would have been severed and ROW was along river bottom.

Never knew SOU ever had shays.