Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #706940  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

The Southern Crescent originated in New York and ran via the PRR, later PC to Washington, DC. I worked in Penn Station in the final years of it's operation. Please correct me if I am wrong. The train crew (conductors, assistant conductors, etc)(not the engine crew) were Southern RR conductors. This always struck me as strange because while it was running on PRR/PC territory, was it not technically a PRR/PC train and not a Southern train? Why wouldn't the train be staffed by a PRR train crew and not a Southern train crew?
 #706987  by Pennsyjohn

Perhaps it was because the Crescent continues from DC to either new Orleans or Birmingham?
I'm not sure, but I think it's first (and only) stop on the NEC was DC.

PennsyJohn
 #707713  by ExCon90

Pennsyjohn wrote:Perhaps it was because the Crescent continues from DC to either new Orleans or Birmingham?
I'm not sure, but I think it's first (and only) stop on the NEC was DC.

PennsyJohn
The April 1971 Official Guide (the last pre-Amtrak) shows the Southern Crescent down to one coach and one sleeper from New York to Birmingham four days a week and to New Orleans the other three (blast from the past: the sleeper continued to Los Angeles on the Sunset, providing an overnight stay in New Orleans Union Station for interstate passengers). The Southern added additional coaches and sleepers, as well as a diner and tavern-lounge, at Washington. The train on PC was No. 173, the Senator, from Boston, offering tavern and grill cars, which picked up the Southern cars at Penn Station and stopped after that at Newark, Trenton, North Philadelphia, 30th Street, Wilmington, and Baltimore en route to Washington. An earlier Guide from June 1968 shows the Crescent equipment originating on PC Train 149, the Afternoon Keystone, along with the Southerner equipment (the Crescent and the Southerner ran combined from Washington to Atlanta), consisting of coaches for Birmingham and New Orleans (as the Southerner), two Atlanta sleepers (one each as the Crescent and the Southerner), and another to New Orleans (as the Southerner); a Southern diner also ran from New York to New Orleans. Additional equipment, as always, originated in Washington. Train 149 made the same stops as 173 did in 1971. I don't know how it would have been possible for Southern train crews to operate over PC from New York to Washington without seniority rights or qualification, even on an exclusively Southern train, let alone a regular PC train in regular NY-Washington service. In 1968 there was probably a Pullman (but not Southern Railway) conductor who went all the way through; by 1971 even he was probably gone, with a porter-in-charge responsible for the lone sleeper until it got to Washington (this last is just a guess, but it seems likely).
 #707900  by JimBoylan

Even with Pullman Company crews, a single sleeper often had a "Porter in Charge" at a slightly higher rate of pay instead of a Porter and Pullman Conductor. I'm sure the dining car crew in the SOU diner was Southern Rwy., as SOU prominently advertised the skills of their Chef!
 #708084  by Nacho66

I rode the Southern Crescent in 1978 and it was an all Southern train crew and equipment (except for the Amtrak GG-1 to DC).
I got on the train in Philly and the Southern Ry. tickets were picked up at the Amtrak ticket window.
Even though I was only 12 at the time, I remember all of it like it was yesterday.
On the return leg we did pick up 2 Amtrak cars in Atlanta.
 #711214  by Zeke

I ran the The Crescent from NYP and WUS on a number of times during the PC years and can assure you the train crew was an all Penn Central crew.Many of the engineers and trainmen on the Washington/ Pot yard end of the Penn Central lived in Virginia. We New Yorkers referred to them as " The Rebels." I am positive no SR train crews ever ventured north of Ivy City engine terminal.