• Solari board replacement at South Station and Back Bay

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by bierhere

Are we starting to see this process starting? There were 5-6 new electronic LCD signs on the platform in shrink wrap. Looks like each track will be getting an LCD right next to each track. They also moved the advertising signs that were in front of each track and placed them near the glass on the South Station platform.

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, I saw them too those new LCD monitors on each track outside on Friday, which means a good sign to replace those high placed old TV monitors which are at least 20 years old, so hopefully these new LCD monitors that are srink-wrapped will come on-line soon and replace those old, hard to read, and antiquated 20+ year old monitors with small texting

by cpontani

I just saw this thread. I still can't believe that people dont' want a fancy new digital display, with all its flexibility to to add new destinations (TF Green, Hanscom, Concord NH) without having to take the whole thing apart, just so they can hear the clicking??? Don't get me wrong, it was part of the ambience (sic) of Penn Station, but it would be the equivalent of hearing a ding and having to hit a carriage return button while typing on a computer. It's called technology, progress, reliability...

by danib62

cpontani wrote:I just saw this thread. I still can't believe that people dont' want a fancy new digital display, with all its flexibility to to add new destinations (TF Green, Hanscom, Concord NH) without having to take the whole thing apart, just so they can hear the clicking??? Don't get me wrong, it was part of the ambience (sic) of Penn Station, but it would be the equivalent of hearing a ding and having to hit a carriage return button while typing on a computer. It's called technology, progress, reliability...
Don't be silly, Penn Station hasn't had ambiance since they put up Madison Square Garden.

by sery2831

South Station is getting new LED sign boards to replace the Solari Boards that are currently in place.

by Ron Newman

How would a train get to Hanscom or Concord NH from South Station?

by Rockingham Racer

Ron Newman wrote:How would a train get to Hanscom or Concord NH from South Station?
to go to Concord, NH: Out the B&A to west of Worcester station; reverse direction [I'm assuming pull-push mode, now] to Willows, on the Fitchburg, then the Stony Brook to North Chelmsford west leg of the wye, and you're on your way with a direct shot to Concord--finally!

Or do the Downeaster deadhead move, then straight up the Lowell Line, direct shot to the Granite State Capital!

It's nice to know we have options out of South Station :P

by Robert Paniagua

sery2831 wrote:South Station is getting new LED sign boards to replace the Solari Boards that are currently in place.
Oh good, I was gonna say, we should get our own version of those signs that you guys have at BON, and I saw those before my eyes for the first time last week while I was going to a Fleet event, and I saw them, and these new LED signs were impressive.

by sery2831

Lets keep this topic to the boards at South Station... We have a North Station discussion already.

by TomNelligan

cpontani wrote:I just saw this thread. I still can't believe that people dont' want a fancy new digital display, with all its flexibility to to add new destinations (TF Green, Hanscom, Concord NH) without having to take the whole thing apart, just so they can hear the clicking???
Hey, as an old guy I'm nostalgic not just for the current Solari board (which in fact is pretty neat), but also for the old cloth rollsigns that identified train destinations at both North Station and South Station back in the 1960s and for decades before. The "edit" mode on those things was to paint out a line and write a new one over it! Not that any new destinations were being added in those days, of course... usually the changes were to black out stops that had been eliminated.

by 3rdrail

Jimbo's Fish Shanty on Northern Ave. had the higher numbered South Station triangular shaped track number signs prior to the tracks being removed for post office construction. They were on the wall, and I always told myself that I would make a bee line there if I heard that they were closing to see if I could buy one - but, like "Gypsies in the night..."

by Veristek

Anyone know what will happen to the big MBTA solari board when it is replaced? It has been up there for as long as I can remember. Will it be transferred to a train museum or something?

With the new smaller LED boards being put up, do you guys know when exactly the big motherboard will be taken down and replaced?

by jamesinclair

Heres what the new LCds look like. I wonder when theyre getting plugged in

I do like how they will list every stop.

by octr202

Those are the exact same boards that were installed in North Station a couple months ago. They're still not doing anything over there, either.

by bierhere

I'm guessing the train board will be like those useless information kiosks that sat in plastic for 9 months in South Station.