• Solari board replacement at South Station and Back Bay

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by benltrain

Whether or not to have a electronic board really just depends on the size of the station, how often the possible destinations change, and the number of different current destinations.

We have a solari board here in Philly at 30th street, and it gets your attention with the clicking noise, and lets you see other destinations.

Electronic boards are subject to many problems, but are becoming more prominent.

by metrocammel

Hi,
Im from the UK, and here most solari boards have been ripped out of our stations. My local major station is Manchester Piccadilly, which now has several plasma-TV screens together as a board. I have several of the solari destinations from Piccadilly's old board. At Liverpool Lime St, there is an LED screen, however they use the solari (which is underneath the LED board) for showing the time, and the platform for the next train to Manchester.
Going south, Ive notice that London's Liverpool St Station still has a huge Solari board, in a nice blue colour, which looks quite new. All other London terminals are LED i do believe, however as mentioned in an earlier post, Victoria's is still in situe, as is bits of the London Bridge board, and the Waterloo board.... which is just blank, with a couple of words showing, like "Trolley Service", and "Express". I do not like the new plasma TV screen boards (which are common in the UK), because if it is sunny, the light reflects on them, causing the words on them to be illegible.

by GEL

I recently went to South Station and the main Solari board was working fine. If the smaller Solari boards were properly hooked up, I would not have a problem with a new system. Solari is not on the only ones who manufactures these things you know.

by sabourinj

GEL wrote:I recently went to South Station and the main Solari board was working fine. If the smaller Solari boards were properly hooked up, I would not have a problem with a new system. Solari is not on the only ones who manufactures these things you know.
They actually had the correct train info for all the trains with assigned track numbers on the main board? In my 4 years commuting through there I think I've only seen it work right maybe a couple times. I frequently see the smaller boards only show the train info when the "all aboard" light is blinking.

JS

by GEL

sabourinj wrote:
GEL wrote:I recently went to South Station and the main Solari board was working fine. If the smaller Solari boards were properly hooked up, I would not have a problem with a new system. Solari is not on the only ones who manufactures these things you know.
They actually had the correct train info for all the trains with assigned track numbers on the main board? In my 4 years commuting through there I think I've only seen it work right maybe a couple times. I frequently see the smaller boards only show the train info when the "all aboard" light is blinking.

JS
One panel was not flipping, otherwise it was working fine.
  by Pete

Douglas John Bowen wrote:Why does Yankee Stadium still (sometimes) play live organ music?
You mean Yankee Stadium, the soon-to-be-demolished "obsolete" structure in the South Bronx? Interesting example.

by benltrain

GEL wrote:
sabourinj wrote:

JS
One panel was not flipping, otherwise it was working fine.
In Philadelphia, the 5th letter on one of the lines is stuck on Q:
CRESQENT
ACELQ EXPRESS
REGIQNAL
SILVQR METEOR

etc...

by danib62

To dig out a very old topic: Does anyone know what is going on with this project? They were planning on getting a new faux solari board for north station and that project is progressing nicely. Anyone hear anything?

by GP40MC 1116

danib62 wrote:I was just wondering, is there anyway we can convince the T to donate the old board to seashore or another rail museum? They could put it to some sort of use for demos or something I could imagine.

I always loved the click of the boards though I was kind of impressed by NYP's new digital ones and the way they mimicked the font of the old board but never really wanted one to replace ours up in Boston.
That would actually be a good idea! I'll try and see if anyone has thought of that and maybe it can actually happen... :wink:

by octr202

I can't imagine the scrap value of those is all that high, aside for someone wanting to rip all the wiring out of it...

by ags

at south station, there has been an ACELA banner covering the amtrak board for about 3 months now... no progress at all (no surprise...)

by danib62

ags wrote:at south station, there has been an ACELA banner covering the amtrak board for about 3 months now... no progress at all (no surprise...)
So where has amtrak been showing their departures?

by jamesinclair

Ive been to SS twice in the last month for an amtrak friend.

Once, on departure, the destinations were stuck. Announcements were made over the intercom. Another time they appeared to be correct.

Perhaps its the "even a broken clock is right twice a day" scenario?

by ags

danib62 wrote:
ags wrote:at south station, there has been an ACELA banner covering the amtrak board for about 3 months now... no progress at all (no surprise...)
So where has amtrak been showing their departures?
The TV monitors outside are still functional (although difficult to see at times)

by CSX Conductor

savebowdoin wrote:Ummm... As of last night the Amtrak display board at South Station is within full view and in use. I haven't seen anything covering it up any time I've gone there all year, or ever for that matter.
Yes, as of last week the board was functioning again, it had been out of commission for a few weeks.