Railroad Forums 

• So, where are all of these "New" Locos, now?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#431630  by ANDY117

Alright Scot, here's the master list:

STORED IN BINGHAMTON:

3672 was probably the last one operating, as it was our local switcher for a while, as the others sat stored.

I'm not sure if any have come down from SY yet, but those are the 77,3660, and 3674. 77 got major frost damage, 3660 had a major engine component failure, and 3674 had a seized axle from what I heard.
 #431811  by Sandy Burton

M&E 4264, C-425, has been sold to the WNY&P - not news, but confirmed.
RRPX 4223 and 4228, C-424s, are leased to the WNY&P for one year - again not news, but confirmed.
SIXX #73, C-630M, has been sold to the WNY&P - as expected.

RRPX has purchased all 8 Alco 636s from the NYS&W. RRPX has sold three M-636s to ALCO-C. ALCO-C is leasing them to the WNYP. They are expected to be released to go into service one at a time once they are cleaned and prepped at Cohocton. ALCO-C has an option for a fourth unit.

Both Demonstrator C-636s are economically un-repairable due to freeze damage.

This information is from one of the principals in these transactions.

Sandy

#431987  by thebigham

Thanks, Sandy!

#432036  by sallenparks

OK I'm missing something here who is ALCO-C.

#432038  by RS-3

ALCO-C is the company that has purchased three of the N-636's from RRPX and then leased them to the WNY&P.

RS

#432046  by Alcoman

RS-3 wrote:ALCO-C is the company that has purchased three of the N-636's from RRPX and then leased them to the WNY&P.

RS
I don't think this answers his question or mine....
We already know what they are doing, but is this a "new" leasing arm of WNY&P or LA&L?

#432075  by ANDY117

All 8 are in Binghamton!

Pictures in my next post.

#432081  by RS-3

Wow, I created a new model, the N-636!

The exact principals behind the various Alco leasers such as SIXX, RRPX and ALCO-C, etc have always been somewhat muddy to the general public. I'd guess it might be a little of column A, a little of column B....

I'd also guess they are the same general players with interest in part, or some of the Alco powered railroads. I also suspect you may be hard pressed to identify them specifically. Me, I don't know or care, only that I appreciate what they are doing.

RS

#432173  by lvrr325

The only way to find out who is behind these paper companies would be to locate the original incorporation notice and see what info is contained there. They're often published in small print in a newspaper somewhere. And that assumes the type of corporation formed; I'm not sure what public notice is required, or what information can be researched, should this new group be an LLC.

Freeze damage would require replacement of radiators, plumbing, and prime movers; the radiators are probably the biggest issue, since you can't exactly go to a radiator shop and buy up a spare. I would suspect they'll be used for parts until such time as they do become viable to rebuild, if they ever do. If they don't, hopefully the people who own these units will have the foresight to preserve one of them. That's hard to say, sometimes the cash influx from the scrap value is of more benefit to a small company, than the tax writeoff from that same value would be.

#432263  by Luther Brefo

lvrr325 wrote:...hopefully the people who own these units will have the foresight to preserve one of them.
I'd say preserve them both. Paint them in the original paint scheme they wore and couple them back to back and you've got a nice set of matched Alco Demonstrators!

#432297  by scottychaos

Luther Brefo wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:...hopefully the people who own these units will have the foresight to preserve one of them.
I'd say preserve them both. Paint them in the original paint scheme they wore and couple them back to back and you've got a nice set of matched Alco Demonstrators!
Great idea! :P
and here is the paintscheme!

http://www.railroadmichigan.com/alcodemo636-2s1.jpg

the two surviving units are Demonstrators 636-2 and 636-3.
the third unit in the Demonstrator trio, 636-1, didnt survive.
but two surviving demonstrators is pretty amazing!

and they are basically the ultimate height of Alco technology, Alco's "latest and greatest", "last and greatest", and Alco's last gasp before going out of business forever..
very historic units!

Scot

#432305  by railwatcher

lvrr325 wrote:
Freeze damage would require replacement of radiators, plumbing, and prime movers; the radiators are probably the biggest issue, since you can't exactly go to a radiator shop and buy up a spare. .
Forgive my not knowing, but this question has been looming over me for long before this discussion, but why don't they use antifreeze in these units to keep them from freezing. OK, get your laughs in, but I have yet to understand what makes these different than any other deisel engine, when it comes to cooling systems? Somebody, that knows, please try to explain this.

#432333  by PVRX1

No anti-freeze like car and truck engines. Straight water with an additive like Hydroponics added to prevent freezing. Traditional anti-freeze causes various damage.