• Silverliner V's Returning To Service

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by dcipjr

As a regular West Trenton Line rider, one pleasant side-effect of the Silverliner Vs being out of service is that my "normal" morning and evening trains are push-pulls. They really are more pleasant to ride than the IVs or the Vs, though I do agree the IVs have done a great job keeping things operational.
  by JeffK

jmatchesky wrote:Again, I think overall they've done a great job. The SLIV's really showed their worth, and then some. What a bunch of durable, long lasting railcars. Wish they still made them like that.
AMEN!
Honestly, from my vantage point as a Manayunk/Norristown rider, the schedules (timing of trains, not the number of trains) were the only thing keeping things from actually being somewhat close to normal. ... On this line during the car shortage, they never really figured out how to satisfy the AM rush hour at the highest-volume stations on the line.
Admittedly I'm no longer a regular rider but anecdotally, for whatever reason, they weren't successful getting people at NTC and other nearby stations to switch to the NHSL. More frequent, just as comfortable, and cheaper. Go figure.
  by glennk419

Didn't get the numbers as I was a couple blocks away but there was a SLV set running on the Warminster line this morning.
  by dcipjr

Admittedly I'm no longer a regular rider but anecdotally, for whatever reason, they weren't successful getting people at NTC and other nearby stations to switch to the NHSL. More frequent, just as comfortable, and cheaper. Go figure.
I don't think it's the NHSL that's the hold-up here—it's the MFL. It's cheaper, sure, but I don't think the regular regional rail riders want to bother with the connection, especially to the El.
  by Head-end View

Interesting to hear everyone praising SEPTA's recent efforts. This again proves something I've observed a lot about various organizations including those I've belonged to. And that is that people, especially the ones in charge, can get their act together and act smart when they want to. Most of the time there is a routinely indifferent attitude but when a real crisis happens, it kind of wakes everybody up and motivates them. Good to see that happened here.
  by Suburban Station

Eh. Ridership is down 25 percent. Train schedules are a work of fiction.
  by MichaelBug

Train 505 ran with five V's this morning (Wednesday 9/28/16). First three cars were singles (couldn't get #'s) but last two were definitely 862-861.
  by swampoodle

Well they must be cranking 'em out if they're going back to regular weekday schedules on Monday...
  by ExCon90

According to a post I've seen but can't find, apparently they're going to hang onto the borrowed equipment until the V's are all back in service.
  by jayfar

ExCon90 wrote:According to a post I've seen but can't find, apparently they're going to hang onto the borrowed equipment until the V's are all back in service.
Correct, except for the NJT cars, which go back home on or after September 30.
  by scotty269

If you make note of a revenue service Silverliner V on the system, please update this list.
Valid Roster numbers are : 701-738 and 801-882.

Just copy and paste the list below, with additions.
Try to consolidate numbers if they are sequential (instead of 123,124,125,126, just post 123 - 126)
I will keep the thread clean as new updates are made.

* 801-802
* 805-806
* 815-816
* 847-848
* 833-834
* 835-836
* 877-878

(Edited by AlexC to include full roster)
  by BuddCar711

jayfar wrote:Correct, except for the NJT cars, which go back home on or after September 30.
Considering that NJ Transit may need that train back due to the accident in Hoboken, N.J. not too long ago.
  by AlexC

I guess our spotted count is not quite enough.

Regular service returns October 3rd.

http://www.septa.org/service/rail-service-returns.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With a substantial number of Silverliner V cars now back in operation, Regular Weekday service resumes on ALL Regional Rail Lines on Monday, October 3, 2016.

All Lines will operate following the schedule published in the June 19th timetable with the exception of the Media/Elwyn Line, which will have a new schedule, with an October 2, 2016 effective date. This new schedule will reflect the return of rail service between Elwyn and Swarthmore Stations with the completion of the summer construction project. Additionally, the Cynwyd Line shuttle bus service will end and regular weekday train service will resume October 3rd.
  by CaptainHaddock

I saw a set of SLV's on the Norristown line 2 days ago, I didn't see how many there were or their numbers as I just got a glimpse of them. But anyway now we know that they are running there.